Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-05-2020, 05:51 PM   #31
Anaraxes

Default Re: Help with Elven Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I'll admit, it is a bit odd that a hilted baton gets a better Parry than a hilted sword
Maybe because the baton doesn't have an orientation? It's round all the way around, rather than flat and thin, with an edge to worry about protecting or fears of it turning in your grip. (Though engineering of beams suggests you'd rather parry with the thin edge than the wide flat; the blade is stronger that way.) I don't have any idea whether that actually matters in combat terms, but it's a difference in the weapons, anyway.

But that's probably inventing an explanation for a game stat that doesn't need one because it isn't even necessarily accurate in the first place.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:30 PM   #32
pawsplay

Well, a baton can definitely be used better for blocking than a sword -- which, in GURPS, is still covered by a Parry roll.
pawsplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:21 PM   #33
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Well, a baton can definitely be used better for blocking than a sword
Why is that?

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:14 PM   #34
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Why is that?
Because you can use any part of it to stop a blow, completely. Do that with a blade and you'll lose slivers of metal, not to mention a narrower blocking surface on the edge makes it harder to dissipate a blow. Which is easier to block with, a shield or a knife?
pawsplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:48 PM   #35
night-hunter

I have a replica of Hadafang. It is more of a sabre than either broadsword or rapier and I would therefore assign it Sabre skill for use. HOWEVER, the angle of the hilt and length of the hilt make it VERY awkward/unbalanced to wield either one handed or two handed. Looks good on the fireplace mantle, but it is not what I would choose in a real battle.
night-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:21 PM   #36
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
2) I would lean toward shortsword, although realistically I'm not sure that design would be very practical. I think it would be hard to control and get much force in the swing. (I know, who cares; it's a fantasy weapon.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by night-hunter View Post
I have a replica of Hadafang. It is more of a sabre than either broadsword or rapier and I would therefore assign it Sabre skill for use. HOWEVER, the angle of the hilt and length of the hilt make it VERY awkward/unbalanced to wield either one handed or two handed. Looks good on the fireplace mantle, but it is not what I would choose in a real battle.
Thanks. I only saw the picture, but I suspected it wouldn't be very practical as a weapon. Thanks for confirming that.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote