Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2020, 01:40 AM   #1
adam1234

Default Actual effects of Vacuum Support

Hey folks, looking for some answers on what exactly vacuum support does.

From B437, there are three hazards in vacuum: suffocation, explosive decompression, and extreme temperatures.

Now, that section does say
Quote:
"If you are exposed to vacuum without protection (e.g., a vacc suit or the Vacuum Support advantage), the following rules apply."
However, the rules for vacuum support say you need Doesn't Breathe because VS itself doesn't give an air supply. Similarly, VS's rules say you typically would have Temperature Tolerance. If you need TT, then the extreme temps, I assume, also isn't solved by VS.
  1. So does VS only mitigate the explosive decompression part? Does it do nothing for temperature nor suffocation?
  2. Also, that would seem to me you need TT, VS, and Doesn't Breathe (or Breath Holding or something to that effect) to be "safe" in vacuum?
  3. What does Sealed in the case of simple vacuum do?

Thanks in advance!
adam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:05 AM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Actual effects of Vacuum Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1234 View Post
So does VS only mitigate the explosive decompression part? Does it do nothing for temperature nor suffocation?
Yes. Decompression is the only one of those that is vacuum-specific...and the only one that isn't specifically under a different Advantage too.
Quote:
Also, that would seem to me you need TT, VS, and Doesn't Breathe (or Breath Holding or something to that effect) to be "safe" in vacuum?
Not necessarily. If you want to hang out in space unprotected for an extended period, yes. (Plus Radiation Tolerance and probably Regeneration (Radiation Only) - Vacuum Support points to rad tolerance as a consideration.)

But being in vacuum doesn't necessarily mean being exposed to extreme temperatures. And with Vacuum Support you could hold your breath in vacuum to resist suffocation for a little while, without rupturing your lungs as a result. If you're in a suddenly-decompressed space vessel, having Vacuum Support alone keeps you functional for what could easily be long enough to save your life (and maybe other people in the room, if you like them).
Quote:
What does Sealed in the case of simple vacuum do?
Nothing. Sealed keeps bad stuff out. Vacuum isn't stuff that needs keeping out.

It'll protect you from moon dust getting in your internals though.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
adam1234

Basically confirmed my thinking.

Just being resistant to decompression seems a bit expensive for 5 pts, but oh well. Better than losing eyes from it.

Thanks!
adam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:02 PM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Non-explosive decompression is also a thing, usually encountered because of a leak rather than a dramatic puncture. Partial decompression for a human limb (the most famous case being a hand) will cause extreme swelling, pain, and stiffness. See Joe Kittinger, Jr.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Quote:

Just being resistant to decompression seems a bit expensive for 5 pts, but oh well. Better than losing eyes from it.

Thanks!
Vacuum Support gives immunity to decompression, which is worth 5 CP.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #6
Rupert

Quote:
It's price is consistent with Pressure Support, and matches Immunity to a 'rare' effect (compare with Sealed, which costs as Immunity to a 'common' effect).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:08 PM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:

Thanks!
Note that with Vacuum Support, you can spend time in an airless environment with only an oxygen mask and if appropriate conventional thermal-protective clothing. No space helmet, no bulky pressure suit (or SFnal counterpressure skinsuit), no problem.

Or for a different angle, it makes a space 'full of' vacuum arguably less dangerous than a space full of water.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:38 PM   #8
RyanW

Also note that someone with Vacuum Support should be able to hold their breath in space. Generally, you can't (safely) do that.

There are lots of effects of vacuum generally ignored because it doesn't much matter if you suffer ebullism or evaporative frostbite when you'll be dead within 3 minutes anyway. Though these sorts of things are likely to be a concern in partial suit failures, which will not be an issue with Vacuum Support.