Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #111
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Is spaceship armor useless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Is there anything in particular that breaks down from sliding the scale other than multiple-projectile-handling-rules? Hexes become bigger, velocities and accelerations in hexes are adjusted, and everything else seems fine, as long as you use the right scale (e.g. do not use a 10,000-mile hex if your enemies need to shoot from 5 miles at you half the time). In-ship movement and repairs might be better handled slightly differently, but they don't look tragically broken compared to beams/missile/dodges.
From SS1, there's the weird thing where the amount of thrust required to not count as unpowered varies by orders of magnitude depending on the scale. In SS3, there's the curious consequences of what the minimum non-zero range is. (For instance, in 10m/20s, you are fairly likely to get to shoot at a (non-fragmented) missile at closer than the point defense baseline range. On 10,000 mile hexes, you need a 3 MJ UV laser to be able to reach out of your own space at all!)
Quote:
Space is big, but something may force closer encounters - engine, weapon, or other similar parameters. Plus there's the offence/defence ratios, be they accuracy/dodge or damage/DR/HP, and they change many things.
It'd have to be something very, very big to force the kind of closer encounters you see in the wooshy genre, and it would usually have to be something you grafted on to the setting to justify it.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #112
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
From SS1, there's the weird thing where the amount of thrust required to not count as unpowered varies by orders of magnitude depending on the scale. In SS3, there's the curious consequences of what the minimum non-zero range is. (For instance, in 10m/20s, you are fairly likely to get to shoot at a (non-fragmented) missile at closer than the point defense baseline range. On 10,000 mile hexes, you need a 3 MJ UV laser to be able to reach out of your own space at all!)
Regarding the 3MJ UV LASER: that probably indicates picking the wrong scale (as mentioned above).
As for PD range, that should probably be calculated based on relative missile velocities instead of being tied to hex-scale.

(I also consider the Basic system something of a mess. I tried playing it, and it's just too unwieldy.)
Old 12-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #113
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Regarding the 3MJ UV LASER: that probably indicates picking the wrong scale (as mentioned above).
If you set the hex scale by the smallest stuff rather than the biggest, you're going to lose a lot of the potential benefits...
As for PD range, that should probably be calculated based on relative missile velocities instead of being tied to hex-scale.[/QUOTE]
By RAW, it's just a flat value. It doesn't change with the hex scale, which is where some of what I was pointing out comes from.
Quote:
(I also consider the Basic system something of a mess. I tried playing it, and it's just too unwieldy.)
I don't think I could bring myself to actually try playing the Basic system, there's too much that's just bizarre.

Tags
point defense, spaceships