Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #21
cosmicfish

Default Re: Space Opera vs Hard Sci-Fi, personal vs realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
GURPS players tend to match it. Hand one of my players a Jedi, and they'll start to wonder why, exactly, they can't use blasters and destroy their enemy from a range. Thus, I cannot rely on tradition or genre savvy to keep my players in line. They want in-setting or in-system justifications, and I don't blame them.
Just to comment on this one, the Star Wars universe provides ample reasons for someone with a lightsaber to have a blaster... they just cannot be a Jedi at the same time. They can certainly be a FORMER Jedi, or a Sith, or someone who came across a lightsaber but is not otherwise using the Force.

As to reasons why the Jedi might forbid it, they are never specifically addressed in canon, but I always thought it was because the Jedi were so dependent on the Force not only for their combat skills but also to be sure that they were on the "light" side. A Jedi accustomed to using the Force is his fighting may find it highly disconcerting to be unable to make the connection with a blaster, and the Order might look askew on any Jedi choosing to do so - it is not that doing so is inherently evil, but willingly forsaking the assurance of righteousness that using the Force provides is highly suspect...
cosmicfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci fi, space opera