Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-27-2020, 06:00 PM   #21
Anaraxes

Default Re: Help with Binding build?

Kromm seems to say (back in 2006) that it should be possible (in reference to a question about Blinking out of a grapple).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
A caster with Teleport-20 should definitely be able to take a turn and "break free" using his spell. I don't see any reason why one shouldn't allow it. If you hate having wizards do that, well, injure them or stun them so that they can't cast effectively. Grapplers have loads of options for that . . .
Seems fairly simple just to write off the appearance of "Concentrate" in that list of disallowed actions as an error, whether authorial or editorial.

Several past forumites expressed a preference for a skill penalty, whether -3, -4, or just using the spell ritual requirements as a guide. ("A couple of fingers are enough" for a small gesture at skill 15-19, and it's hard to imagine a grapple so thorough across your entire body that you can't even move a couple of fingers -- or toes, or wiggle your ears, twitch your nose*, or make any other motion at all.)

--
* Samantha Stevens' only real fear was the nose grapple perfected by Grandmaster Moe Stooge.

Last edited by Anaraxes; 09-28-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:10 PM   #22
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Several past forumites expressed a preference for a skill penalty, whether -3, -4, or just using the spell ritual requirements as a guide. ("A couple of fingers are enough" for a small gesture at skill 15-19, and it's hard to imagine a grapple so thorough across your entire body that you can't even move a couple of fingers -- or toes, or wiggle your ears, twitch your nose*, or make any other motion at all.)
-4 makes sense, that's just applying the DX modifier to concentration rolls (or Will-4 for no roll), at least as a simplistic rule.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:23 AM   #23
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I could see it going the other way;
because only one 'mind' controls the body,
the other minds can ignore what happens to it.
If they can continue to function while the body's mind is mind controlled, grappling seems no harder
There might be a distinction between "controlling the body" and "influenced by what happens to the body" though. Like for example: if the body suffers shock (-1 to IQ) and both minds are casting spells, wouldn't they both be -1 to IQ?

I think also a stun/knockout applies to both minds? It's not exactly Extra Brain which if I look at B54 might be worth something like 3 points (1/5 of 15) based on what you save by taking Extraneous on Extra Head.

Extra Tracking [5] B53 and Extra Mouth [5] B55 are built into Extra Head [15] so the other benefits are supposed to be 5 points... so if merely 3 of those is "extra brain", I'm thinking the other 2 are perhaps perks like "extra pair of eyes" or "extra pair of ears" ?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:50 PM   #24
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
There might be a distinction between "controlling the body" and "influenced by what happens to the body" though. Like for example: if the body suffers shock (-1 to IQ) and both minds are casting spells, wouldn't they both be -1 to IQ?
That makes sense. Now there is the oddity of having a second head as an Ally, but I think that'll take us off topic.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote