Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
Apollonian

Default Dimensional Projection

I'm trying to work out how to do a general ability in a couple different ways - psionic, magical, native advantage. Here's the concept:

A character can project their self-awareness into another dimension. When they do so, they interact with that dimension as if their body is physically present in that dimension, but:

Their actual body remains, inert, on their home dimension. (Unless otherwise noted, the body functions normally, and is subject to all the normal hazards… like starvation, suffocation, and dehydration.)

Their projected body is altered to allow them to function in the alien dimension (e.g., they gain the ability to sense things as a native of the dimension and they are not harmed by the basic nature of the dimension, such as burning in the Elemental Plane of Fire or drowning in the Elemental Plane of Water.) Their projected body is otherwise subjected to all the laws of nature of the alien dimension.

Common feature: The character has a “silver cord” extending from them toward their physical body (if the current dimension has a geographical correspondence with the dimension they are in), or slowly twisting like a long tail. This cord is an additional hit location, and damaging it damages the caster or their ability to project.

A basic expression of this, limited to one dimension, is the Astral Travel power from GURPS Psionic Powers, p. 28. The Planar Visit on Magic, p. 82 is similar, but limited in what the caster can do.

I'm specifically trying to get this to work using Ritual Path Magic, in the Cabal cosmology (so four major dimensions including the material, plus a multitude of minor ones).

Any ideas?
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Dimensional Projection

Jumper with Projection pretty much does this as an advantage.
You could do it as an RPM Ritual, probably with Spirit, Mind and Crossroads.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:17 PM   #3
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Jumper with Projection pretty much does this as an advantage.
Not exactly; Projection doesn't give you the unkillable effect or the adaptation. If you want to do it RAW you'll have a messy build.

To get the unkillable effect, you'll either need a highly limited Unkillable, or you'll need to construct a duplicate with Construct and set up a mindlink with that duplicate). I would probably allow Construct (+60%) on Jumper with Projection (or other powers with Projection); this would give you a net of +35%.
To get the adaptation effect, you'll need either a bunch of advantages, or a limited Morph (only into a dimensional analog).

Last edited by Anthony; 06-15-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
DeathDaisy

You could probably build it something like this:

Quote:
Planar Travel
Spell Effects: Greater Create Crossroads + Greater Transform Mind + Greater Transform Spirit.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Extra Hit Location: "Tail".
Greater Effects: 3 (×7).

A character can project their self-awareness into another dimension. When they do so, they interact with that dimension as if their body is physically present in that dimension, but their actual body remains, inert, on their home dimension. Their projected body is altered to allow them to function in the alien dimension (e.g., they gain the ability to sense things as a native of the dimension and they are not harmed by the basic nature of the dimension, such as burning in the Elemental Plane of Fire or drowning in the Elemental Plane of Water.) Their projected body is otherwise subjected to all the laws of nature of the alien dimension. The character has a “silver cord” extending from them toward their physical body (if the current dimension has a geographical correspondence with the dimension they are in), or slowly twisting like a long tail. This cord is an additional hit location, and damaging it damages the caster or their ability to project.

Typical Casting: Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Greater Transform Mind (8) + Greater Transform Spirit (8) + Duration, 1 hour (3) + Altered Trait, Extra Hit Location: "Tail" (4) + Range, Cross-dimension (10). 273 energy (39×7).
The point cost is pretty rough, it has to be said, but this is the logic: Greater Create Crossroads to create the connection to the plane of choice, Greater Transform Mind and Greater Transform Spirit to transform your consciousness into a typical spirit that can inhabit the realm. I used this to create the "tail" disadvantage, but I pretty much eyeballed the cost, you can make it more detailed for how you envision it to work.

Again, quite rough. Not only does it cost pretty much all the energy in the world, and you are at -1 for using 3+ paths, and are rolling against your lowest one. But I think it models what you want quite well.

EDIT: Forgot the range modifier

Last edited by DeathDaisy; 06-15-2017 at 05:27 PM.
DeathDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
DeathDaisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Not exactly. You'd start with the -25% version of Projection, but then you'd have to add some highly limited Unkillable (only applies to projected form) and Morph (limited: becomes closest local equivalent race).
I'd say the Transform effect is enough for the morph. A fire elemental is a lot more points than a normal person, but in the fire plane it isn't really an advantage. I feel Altered Trait would be double dipping.
DeathDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:33 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Not exactly; Projection doesn't give you the unkillable effect or the adaptation. If you want to do it RAW you'll have a messy build.

To get the unkillable effect, you'll either need a highly limited Unkillable, or you'll need to construct a duplicate with Construct and set up a mindlink with that duplicate). I would probably allow Construct (+60%) on Jumper with Projection (or other powers with Projection); this would give you a net of +35%.
To get the adaptation effect, you'll need either a bunch of advantages, or a limited Morph (only into a dimensional analog).
Who said anything about an unkillable effect?

Jumper (projection) doesn't explicitly give you the ability to survive on the plane. It does, however, give you an insubstantial form, which has a rather similar effect. It suggests using the insubstantial advantage to reverse this. As a GM, I'd argue that a physical body normalized to the plane is not notably better or worse than arriving insubstantial.

This body won't have a positive point cost. Almost everything can be built as a feature rather than an advantage. You don't burn up in the elemental plane of fire? that's because your optimal temperature range has been adjusted. a feature. You can breathe in the plane of water? good luck breathing air if you need to. That's a feature. And so forth.

Now, if you want the unkillable effect, yeah, lets go for duplicate (construct).

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Who said anything about an unkillable effect?
Hm. I misread the OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Jumper (projection) doesn't explicitly give you the ability to survive on the plane. It does, however, give you an insubstantial form, which has a rather similar effect.
Pretty sure the OP wanted a physical form (which is the -25% version of Jumper(projection).
Old 06-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #8
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:

Quote:
Hm. I misread the OP.

Pretty sure the OP wanted a physical form (which is the -25% version of Jumper(projection).
Although, Anthony, I must thank you. I'm glad I glanced over this thread because your idea of using Construct on Jumper with Projection is simply brilliant, and it's exactly what I need for my own version of dimensional projection. I never use the Duplication advantage, so that idea just never occurred to me.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
Crystalline_Entity

I thought about this a while ago, and I was torn between Duplication or Jumper (World; Projection, Physical Form, -25%; Death-Snap, +25%), where Death Snap is borrowed from Possession in Infinite Worlds, p.176. I'm not sure it's legal to borrow modifiers like that, but I then decided Duplication might give me the effect I wanted in a neater fashion.
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabal, ritual path magic