Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-12-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
Crispythemighty

Default Striking ST with Telekinetic Attack...

Is it possible...

I have a Telekinetic character, but wants an extra punch behind the attack with his Telekinetic striking... so he want Striking ST (One Attack Only, Telekinetic).

Is this valid? Striking ST is used to increase damage on natural attacks... I'm not sure if Striking ST could be used on telekinetic attacks.

Cracked Dice Entertainment
Crispythemighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Striking ST with Telekinetic Attack...

If he purchased his telekinetic attacks as alternate abilities to TK (probably with the ST based enhancement) they're gfree to purchase that Striking ST AND count it as part of the alternate ability.

If they just want to have more ST with their TK, they need to purchase more TK levels. One attack only might be allowable on those extra TK levels, but then you should really limit it to ONE attack type (either a punch using the TK, using a muscle powered weapon with TK,...)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispythemighty
Is it possible...

I have a Telekinetic character, but wants an extra punch behind the attack with his Telekinetic striking... so he want Striking ST (One Attack Only, Telekinetic).

Is this valid? Striking ST is used to increase damage on natural attacks... I'm not sure if Striking ST could be used on telekinetic attacks.
Since SS only applies to 'muscular' ST, not 'brainy' (telekinetic) ST, I would say no. You could say that it applies to TK ST instead, but taking the 'One Attack' as a limitation is a cheat (and I can show why).
Old 06-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispythemighty
Is it possible...

Is this valid?
Not by the rules. Of course, it's also absurdly expensive (as TK doesn't cost more than striking ST anyway). Better to buy innate attack (crushing) as an alternate power of TK.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Are we talking about increasing ranged damage with TK or using TK to amplify melee damage?
In the first case just take an IA as an Alternate Ability of TK.
In the second case you could take a Power Modifer on Striking ST and make it an Alternate Ability of TK (which is pretty cool, IMO).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
Are we talking about increasing ranged damage with TK or using TK to amplify melee damage?
In the first case just take an IA as an Alternate Ability of TK.
In the second case you could take a Power Modifer on Striking ST and make it an Alternate Ability of TK (which is pretty cool, IMO).
Which brings up the question: Why can't TK (with Reduced Time) be used to amplify muscular ST? It logically should be able to.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:14 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Which brings up the question: Why can't TK (with Reduced Time) be used to amplify muscular ST? It logically should be able to.
TK, alternate power (Striking ST+Load ST)
Old 06-12-2006, 03:18 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
TK, alternate power (Striking ST+Load ST)
Or even just regular ST with the HP bought down and a Power Modifier as an Alternate Ability.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
Or even just regular ST with the HP bought down and a Power Modifier as an Alternate Ability.
That's not exactly what I meant. Imagine a TKer with ST 10 and a truly instantaneous (no concentration required) Telekinesis 10. Now, she swings a sword with two hands on the hilt. Why can't she apply both her muscular ST and telekinetic 'ST' to her sword? Coordinating the two will certainly not be an issue. She also doesn't use any two powers simultaneously either. So what justifies the inflated CP cost?
Old 06-12-2006, 03:33 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
That's not exactly what I meant. Imagine a TKer with ST 10 and a truly instantaneous (no concentration required) Telekinesis 10. Now, she swings a sword with two hands on the hilt. Why can't she apply both her muscular ST and telekinetic 'ST' to her sword? Coordinating the two will certainly not be an issue. She also doesn't use any two powers simultaneously either. So what justifies the inflated CP cost?
Coordinating the two is an issue. Other than that, the point costs for TK vs ST are broken, but that's a separate issue.