Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-09-2018, 07:36 PM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default Appearance and disfigurement

Hello all!

So, how would someone who would normally have a high physical Appearance were it not for heavy scarring due to a well proportioned body and who keep being pretty if you look at them from too far away to see their scars (Glasgow grin, burn scars all over, the works) be treated rules wise?

Thanks!
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Appearance and disfigurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
Hello all!

So, how would someone who would normally have a high physical Appearance were it not for heavy scarring due to a well proportioned body and who keep being pretty if you look at them from too far away to see their scars (Glasgow grin, burn scars all over, the works) be treated rules wise?

Thanks!
Well ordinarily it wouldn't improve reaction rolls, so it it would be just an element in their physical description. I have designed a character who was disfigured but wore a mask. The mask was a mitigator on her Ugly and a Gadget limitation on her Attractive since the rest of her was unscarred except for her missing hand and forearm that were replaced with an attractive shiny metal prosthesis.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:46 AM   #3
tbone

If the the unappealing features can be hidden in pretty easy ways – by presenting the left side instead of the right, or by wearing an eyepatch, etc., then I suppose changed Appearance with a cost mod, as David Johnston2 suggests, is the way to go.

If the circumstances are quite limited, you could follow the example of a few interesting perks that function as improved Appearance in limited circumstances – "Only in photographs" and "Only when in uniform" are two I can recall at the moment.

For the character you have in mind, I could imagine a similar perk that works as a level of improved Appearance "Only at distance of 10 yards+" or whatever distance works for you. ("Only at a distance of Per yards+" if you want to get needlessly fancy. : )

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:53 AM   #4
CoyoteGestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
If the circumstances are quite limited, you could follow the example of a few interesting perks that function as improved Appearance in limited circumstances – "Only in photographs" and "Only when in uniform" are two I can recall at the moment.
For the character you have in mind, I could imagine a similar perk that works as a level of improved Appearance "Only at distance of 10 yards+" or whatever distance works for you. ("Only at a distance of Per yards+" if you want to get needlessly fancy. : )
And correspondingly, there's at least one canonical quirk in the relevant Power-Ups book that offers a temporarily decreased appearance in particular circumstances (when a particular mental disadvantage is active), so you could perhaps have something similar for a decreased appearance under specific conditions that are mostly under the character's control, if you feel that suits the situation better.
CoyoteGestalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dr is reduced by half