Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 12-12-2017, 06:37 AM   #1
Taneli

Default GT: ISW Jump rolls

So, does the GM or the players roll the four rolls required to do the jump?
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:34 AM   #2
Ronnke

Default Re: GT: ISW Jump rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
So, does the GM or the players roll the four rolls required to do the jump?
I always have my players make the rolls. I will even select players to make those rolls for npcs when needed. Except for the purpose of secretly fudging the result, I see no reason for the GM to make jump rolls.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:04 PM   #3
trooper6

Like Ronnke, I always have the players make the rolls...it is their PC's skills being tested after all!
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:54 AM   #4
ak_aramis

While I don't do GT, but use MegaTraveller, I also require the rolls be made by players... at least until the direction, distance, and duration of a misjump.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:57 PM   #5
Earther

I never roll for player characters.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:31 AM   #6
Mike Wightman

Having four rolls just means you are making the chance of a successful jump much less likely, which is contrary to how it works in Classic Traveller.

I can imagine that the early Terran jump ships require a highly skilled crew, but as they gain more experience with jump technology and learn from the Vilani they are likely to quickly cease to require rolls.
Mike Wightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wightman View Post
Having four rolls just means you are making the chance of a successful jump much less likely, which is contrary to how it works in Classic Traveller.

I can imagine that the early Terran jump ships require a highly skilled crew, but as they gain more experience with jump technology and learn from the Vilani they are likely to quickly cease to require rolls.
They will never get beyond jump rolls if they keep scoffing at jump dimming...

Digression: Has much ever been done about the idea of intentional misjumps, because any chance is better than staying here as the missiles come in, etc. What about the idea of if you really, really, really need a message sent more than six parsecs in a hurry, you intentionally misjump a bunch of ships in the hopes that one gets to the right place?

Though my GM-sense would say no one does this because in the actual game universe, misjumps are almost all inconsequential things like misexits, or fatal. The PC misjump chances are not real game world probabilities, they are a metagame fudge because "roll 3d6 and anything not a critical success means you are dead" is not conducive to good game play.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:37 PM   #8
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wightman View Post

There are two interesting points according to GT:ISW
1) "If the process of planning and executing a jump is performed under routine conditions (the ship is not under fire, the ship is well-maintained, and there are no penalties to any of the rolls) then skill rolls may not be necessary. Under such circumstances, any crewman with at least 12 in one of the requisite skills can perform the associated task, assuming success without having to make the roll." Pg 171.
So, under routine circumstances no one has to roll at all.

2) The Vilani use jump tape that take them from one star to the next...but they can only go to places they have jump tape for. if they misjump they will be stranded. Or if they end up somewhere they don't have the jump tape out of. The Terrans hand calculate all jump courses...I don't imagine that the Terrans (at least in the ISW era) would ever adopt the Vilani method. The Vilani are safer but less flexible. The Terrans a bit less safe but more flexible. details on pg 170.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote