Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #1691
Anaraxes

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
It doesn't look brand new to me...
Me either, but the phrase makes even better dramatic license for a game than for a news article :)

Perhaps they meant "new when it was buried", 15 years ago. Also not wrapped in plastic, but I suppose the cops would have removed that -- one report said they'd even ripped the doors off the vehicle. So preserving it wasn't apparently a high priority for investigators.

(Which of course just means they were minions actually trying to destroy the evidence and cover it up as general damage or lost to time!)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:19 AM   #1692
Anders

Just found this: Monument to Azathoth appears on lawn in Oklahoma City.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:33 AM   #1693
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Just found this: Monument to Azathoth appears on lawn in Oklahoma City.
Fortunately, a perfectly sane cover story has been offered.

"An art student did it" is probably as good a cover up for cult goings on as marsh gas or Venus.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:56 AM   #1694
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
"An art student did it" is probably as good a cover up for cult goings on as marsh gas or Venus.
That was exactly the excuse I wanted to use when we needed to smuggle several large blobs of silvery metal, weighing a ton or so each, through the Sunnydale Museum to an interdimensional gateway. The rest of that party had no sense of fun.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #1695
Flyndaran
Untagged

The Azathoth plaque was already mentioned in this thread, not that anyone could remember everything from this super long one.
Post #514
Old 08-12-2017, 09:31 PM   #1696
William

Hm. Maybe I should go through and collect a short description of everything that has been posted, and drop it into this thread every 50 posts or so.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:19 AM   #1697
Daigoro

I'd never come across this bit of ancient British folklore before today, finding it in a clickbait listicle, but it suggests a number of adventure hooks. Might even work for Madness Dossier.

Green Children of Woolpit [from Wikipedia]
The legend of the green children of Woolpit concerns two children of unusual skin colour who reportedly appeared in the village of Woolpit in Suffolk, England, some time in the 12th century, perhaps during the reign of King Stephen. The children, brother and sister, were of generally normal appearance except for the green colour of their skin. They spoke in an unknown language, and would only eat raw broad beans. Eventually they learned to eat other food and lost their green pallor, but the boy was sickly and died soon after he and his sister were baptised. The girl adjusted to her new life, but she was considered to be "rather loose and wanton in her conduct".[2] After she learned to speak English, the girl explained that she and her brother had come from Saint Martin's Land, a subterranean world inhabited by green people.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:25 AM   #1698
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Hm. Maybe I should go through and collect a short description of everything that has been posted, and drop it into this thread every 50 posts or so.
I think Jurgen Hubert, a regular poster here, maintains a wiki of weird stuff for gaming purposes. Ah, this is it- Arcana Wiki.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #1699
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
I'd never come across this bit of ancient British folklore before today, finding it in a clickbait listicle, but it suggests a number of adventure hooks. Might even work for Madness Dossier.

Green Children of Woolpit [from Wikipedia]
I know someone on one of these forums talked about this. But for the love of my sanity I can find no mention of it now.
It has a very Hansel and Gretal starving/malnourshed family of immigrants motif to me.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:14 PM   #1700
William

Benjamin Lay was a GURPS character before there was GURPS. An actual honest-to-God badass, hunchbacked dwarf with Code of Honor, Disciplines of Faith, and Cannot Harm Innocents.

He agitated for abolition his whole life (read the article, this dude could agitate theatrically). Upon receiving a messenger in his cave (yes his cave) that the Quaker Yearly Meeting had finally ruled slavery unacceptable and grounds for shunning, he announced that he could die in peace, and did so shortly thereafter.
William is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox