Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
vierasmarius

Default Re: Rejiggering Muscle-Powered Weapon Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
What are your thoughts on fine/very fine weapons? That's the biggest problem I've had in trying to rework all of this to match the armor values. Adding +2 damage (or even +1) is unrealistic. What I've been considering doing is having the 'fine' quality weapons be the baseline that I use, and then having regular 'good' quality weapons being kind of crap in comparison, something the players would want to upgrade as quickly as possible. So, a 'good' quality sword could have a thick blade, and we wouldn't start to see the stats the armor is measured against until we get to 'fine' quality weapons (with very fine weapons not adding an extra point of damage, but doing something else--I think two additional points of damage is too much).
There was a suggestion when this topic was brought up before, dealing with how the 'fine' damage-bonus interacts with armor DR and the Edge Protection rules. Basically, it would make the bonus apply to penetrating the armor, and to the cutting damage if it got through, but not to the crushing damage if the attack failed to actually penetrate. Not sure where that thread is right now...

Quote:
The only problem I have here is that it becomes too difficult to hurt someone by punching them in the skull. How do you think one could handle punches? Do you think skull DR might need to be lowered? Should we factor in All-Out Attack (Strong)? Are those common in reality, particularly against foes in armor?
My take on skull DR is that it should be replaced by a "damage threshold" - for 1 or 2 points of damage it's treated as the face, in terms of wound modifiers and stun chance (though obviously not for blinding the eyes). If damage exceeds that, it's treated as a normal skull hit (DR 2, x4 modifier, etc). That way skull punches actually hurt, but the effects of heavier weapons are not unduly amplified.

The problem really boils down to GURPS being quite granular, especially in its treatment of melee weapons. Hmm... perhaps replace all damage rolls with 3d6 x (some constant based on ST + Weapon modifier), rounding damage to the nearest 0.1 HP. For example, if there's a sword attack that should deal 1d+2 (5.5) damage, it would instead inflict 3d6*0.5, which averages (approximately) the same. I suspect that people wouldn't like all the decimals... they should grow a pair of (mathematician) balls, IMO. </joke>
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, house rules