Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default Something that occurred to me while watching Supernatural...

(Not going to suddenly start playing IN, or buying IN, just figured I'd find people willing to talk about it here...)

In Supernatural, characters are always sacrificing their souls--with open eyes and full knowledge--to save each other's lives.

Made me wonder: is there a demon who's got a Word that emphasizes "best of intentions"? They'd be completely honest about the consequences of the deals they're making, letting desperate people damn themselves to hell...

Would be an interesting villain. They are willing to help you out, to help you save the day and be a hero, and make sure that everyone lives happily ever after... all for the price of your soul...
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Something that occurred to me while watching Supernatural...

Sounds like a Lilim of Fate, and a fairly senior one at that. An expert at striking just the right deal for exactly what you Need -- even if what you Need is something outwardly good or worthy -- but always with one eye on the slip that'll send you sliding into the darkness.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #3
Jason

Sure, I could see that. As in, "The Road to Hell is Paved With...." I imagine he'd work for Kronos, Prince of Fate (who's concerned with leading people to Hell), or Asmodeus, Prince of the Game (whose dealmakers, if I recall the term, are charged with actually drawing up the contracts for people's souls). Could make a fun NPC in a campaign with human PCs in particular, or a foil for angels in a campaign in which PCs fight with demons over specific humans' souls. I may use that myself, considering how I find it tough to actually come up with adventures in which humans play any relevant role other than nameless and clueless NPCs...
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
tHEhERETIC

Sadly, I don't have time right now to sift through my copy of season 5...damned certification classes. But remind me..what was that quote Dean said about selling their souls at Wal-Mart prices?

And who, exactly, showed up at the crossroads to make deals? It always seemed to be a lean young woman vessel, but were those a)totally different demons, b)the same one in a vessel, c)different ones serving the same boss?

a) would suggest that contracts for souls are a common practice, which makes sense given human greed. In the Winchesters' case though there's be a specialization. A batch of Lilim of Fate, maybe.

b) I think it's cool how Supernatural handles vessels. (I also think it's amazingly cool how they handle bindings and exorcisms, but I digress.) If she's the same one she's probably a senior demon who's gunning for the Word of Good Intentions or of Exploitation, maybe hoping to wrest it away from someone else.

c) Or maybe the demon of Good Intentions or Exploitation is sending a cadre of minions. Or maybe the demon of Unequal Treaties finds his power slipping away, and is sending minions to drift his word into something more useful. Or maybe it's Fate himself, enjoying the brothers' misery in their impossible situation.

Or maybe it's Chuck, and he's just a sadist.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

I'm currently watching season 4. Just finished the B&W "classic movie monsters" episode and the "fear plague" episode. (Looks like I'm up to S04E06. Good thing my girlfriend has all the seasons currently available--it's fun to share DVDs back and forth! :-P)

So haven't a clue.
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pop culture