Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-08-2017, 06:52 PM   #1
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default [CRPG] Builders and Spenders

I'm currently playing World of Warcraft: Legion. And while I'm having fun playing it, I'm also wondering how I'd transfer some of those abilities over to GURPS.

Is there a way to build an ability that "builds" (creates pseudo-FP) and another ability that "spends" (uses those pseudo-FP)? I want to create limited uses per fight, but also ones that chain ("build... build... spend on A... build... spend on B... etc.").
Old 10-08-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: [CRPG] Builders and Spenders

Energy Reserve creates your fatigue pool. Buy it with limitations or it recharges normally.
then you can buy Leech or a similar power to recharge it from a foe or Regeneration on an Accessibility limitation so that it only recharges your ER while using a specific power or set of powers.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [CRPG] Builders and Spenders

I'm actually going to disagree that Energy Reserve and Costs Fatigue is the best way to go here. I think that build should only be used when a) there are multiple abilities that draw from the same resource pool (e.g., you've got Burning Attack, Control Fire, and Ally (Fire Elemental), using any of which draws on the same resources), and b) the Energy Reserve mostly acts like FP - you can spend it on things like Extra Effort and other power stunts, as well as fuelling the abilities themselves. If these things aren't true, you have, I think, a very high chance of the build ending up costing more, between buying the Energy Reserve and whatever advantage refuels it quickly, than you would pay for the unmodified advantages, and that's not going to be something most players want to take.

Instead, I'd recommend using the Trigger limitation, albeit a rather modified version. For starters, for a lot of these things, the duration of Trigger is going to be less than the standard 1 minute. If a use of Trigger lets you use the ability for only 30 seconds, I'd multiply the limitation value by 1.5, double it for only 10 seconds, triple it for 5 seconds, multiply by 4 for 1 second, and multiply by 5 for literally only one use, even if it's something you could normally use more than once a second. Then, set the base value by how difficult it is to achieve the "builder" condition:

Very Common: Simply using an ability, succeed or fail.
Common: Simply using an ability 2-4 times, or using an ability once successfully.
Occasional: Simply using an ability 5 or more times, successfully using an ability 2-4 times, or using an ability in a fairly specific way that's more narrow than its normal utility (using a fire blast against undead, or using Flight in a high wind, for example).
Rare: Successfully using an ability 5 or more times, or using an ability in a way that's much more narrow than its usual utility (using a fire blast against a vampire specifically, or using Flight in a high wind only 3 yards above the ground).

Add 5% to the base value of the Trigger for each of:

Ability usage must be consecutive - if you have to use an ability more than once to trigger another, you have to use the ability every turn, or, if you have to succeed at ability use, all usages have to be successful - even one failure ruins the chain.

Uses of abilities "fade" after a certain time, and no longer count as Triggers. This time can be no longer than the time that a Triggered ability can be activated for (e.g., if your Triggered ability is active for 30 seconds, your triggering actions can have happened no more than 30 seconds ago).

So, for example, say you've got Ignia The Escalating Fire Mage, who can charge up her big Burn Absolutely Everything spell by casting her more restrained Fireball a few times. If all she had to do was cast the fireball, whether or not it hit anything, and that gave her the ability to cast her BAE spell for the next 10 seconds, but casting fireball "ran out" after 10 seconds of not casting the BAE, she'd have a -50% limitation on the BAE ability: -20% base for a Common condition (casting her fireball more than once, but less than 5), plus an additional -5% for her trigger conditions expiring, and then multiplied by 2 for the Trigger only lasting 10 seconds.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote