Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-26-2019, 11:14 PM   #1
Kesendeja

Default Let's Make Shadowrun

With the launch of the truly abysmal Shadowrun 6th, I have been talking to at least one person who is seriously considering switching to another system.

GURPS is truly flexible enough to do this and I'd like to gather all the conversions in one place for them.

First off the books they will absolutely need.
The two core books
Powers

Doing both magic and cyberware as powers, so they shouldn't need Magic or Ultra Tech.

Second what other books or articles do you feel are absolutely necessary.

Last edited by Kesendeja; 08-26-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Kesendeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:26 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Let's Make Shadowrun

Since your going with Powers I recommend my recent book GURPS Powers: Totem and Nature Spirits.
I feel a Powers approach is the most balanced conversion method with having cyberwear and magic in the same setting.
Totems helps with the the shamans, though its only a starting point, I hope to be able to expand on it at a later date.
Physical Adepts might work with Thaumatology: Chinese Elemental Magic, its an eastern flair but is a good source of ideas.
Monster Hunters also is very fitting in my mind.
Netrunning I recommend the Console Cowboys article from Pyramid, Ill look it up if your interested.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:33 PM   #3
Kesendeja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Netrunning I recommend the Console Cowboys article from Pyramid, Ill look it up if your interested.
I'd be extremely grateful if you would.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:47 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
I'd be extremely grateful if you would.

Issue #3/21

Its a good upgrade from the Third Edition Cyberpunk rules.
Also Ultra Tech has some material and I recommend the upcoming High Tech: Electricity and Electronics book if you can wait.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:20 AM   #5
Empada

I have interest in knowing more about the Shadowrun scenario, but I don't know where to start. I'm asking because I would like to be useful to these thread and play SR using GURPS.

I'm also in the group who prefers to convert the feeling of the scenario than the every detail.
Empada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empada View Post
I have interest in knowing more about the Shadowrun scenario, but I don't know where to start. I'm asking because I would like to be useful to these thread and play SR using GURPS.

I'm also in the group who prefers to convert the feeling of the scenario than the every detail.
That is the case where you want Magic and UT (or perhaps HT) more than Powers. Doing everything with Powers is going to be an enourmous amount of work probably only justified by getting everything _exactly_ the way you want it.

Even if you don't want to use the cyberware from UT (and you'd probably want the bioware from bio-tech anyway) you're going to want some source for the guns and other conventioanl weapons used by street sams and corp security. HT has expanded gun comabt rules and lots of mundane gear too so I reccomend it.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #7
Black Leviathan

I started work on Shadowrun and got stuck on Astral Space and Cyberspace. They have so very little impact in the game but they're very expensive ideas in GURPS.

Magic spells were pretty easy. I used Sorcery-style powers and was able to give them gradient levels for destructive magic. But again "Essence" as a concept was tough to articulate in GURPS rules, especially where cyberware reduced it.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:33 AM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Astral space travel allows amazing recon, so it shouldn't be cheap. The near complete inability to interact with the physical realm should strongly decrease the cost anyway, I'd think.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:24 PM   #9
Kesendeja

Here's how I handled the astral problem.

Astral Perception 60 pts
Detect (Very Common)
Precise +100%

Astral Projection 85 pts
Jumper (Spirit)
No Concentration +15%
No Fatigue +20%
Projection -50%
Old 08-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #10
Kesendeja

On another note I'm a fan of Quintessence from "The Fifth Attribute" Pyramid 3/120. I think it handles the concept of a magic attribute very well.

I also use "Knowing Your Own Strength" & "Playing With Health" from Pyramid 3/83. It also has the rules for adapting real vehicles to GURPS.

Tags
shadowrun