Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #41
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Players and GMs: What Tips You Would Give to a New Player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Realize that Artificers and Scholars are prep classes, they do stuff before heading off. Also Artificers are basically Tony Stark, work out the boundaries are for that character type before creating your character.

Dungeon Fantasy 4:Sages isn't one of the books being used according to the OP.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:16 PM   #42
dripton

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Players and GMs: What Tips You Would Give to a New Player?

My new DF player pre-game tips are:

1. Use software to make your character. GCA or GCS. Even with templates, there are enough fiddly things like equipment that the software helps.

2. Coordinate with the other players before you make characters. You want a balanced party in game terms, and somewhat compatible backstories, and somewhat compatible goals.

3. If in doubt, buy Luck.

4. If your group is small and the GM is okay with it, buy an Ally. Nobody wants to play a Cleric? Whoa, my super-loyal best friend just happens to be a Cleric, for a few character points.

My new DF player during-game tips are:

1. Search for traps, secret doors, etc. constantly. Falling into a pit because you weren't looking for traps is amateur hour. Amateurs who go into dungeons full of monsters die.

2. Watch your six; don't get surrounded. Always know your way out. That means either mapping, or someone with an ability like Absolute Direction.

3. Stealth is really helpful. The goal is to fight one room of monsters at a time, not wake up the whole dungeon. Don't be Loudy McWanderingMonsterAttractor.
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:09 PM   #43
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Don't be afraid to hire help.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #44
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
1. Use software to make your character. GCA or GCS. Even with templates, there are enough fiddly things like equipment that the software helps.
I know a lot of people on the forums like using computer programs to make their characters, but I never use anything more advanced than Notepad and a calculator to make sure all my traits add up to the correct net total.

In fact, this piece of advice is one that would turn me away from GURPS if I was looking to get into it.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:40 PM   #45
Litvyak

Given that many DF games involve tactical combat (every one that I've been a part of), which can be slow, my advice is to minimize downtime to keep things moving.

As a player, this means that when your turn comes up in combat, you should know what you want to do. It's not the time to be browsing through the rule book looking for fancy techniques to pull off. Consider having a cheat sheet of "go to" combat options ready to go and precalculated (I suggest making note of what type of movement is allowed with your chosen maneuver, as well... I've seen even veteran players mess that one up).

In a similar vein, if your attributes are going to be changing for whatever reason, calculate any changes as soon as possible (ask the GM if it's okay to roll in advance if you plan to trigger Blessed (Heroic Feats) on your turn, for instance). If you're going to be changing the attributes of other PCs, let them know in advance so they can recalculate as needed (and it's also helpful to have a copy of the strength chart handy if you're planning on changing strength).

As a GM, do your best to keep things moving. If you have somebody who spends their turn endlessly pondering options and "what ifs" instead of acting, just tell them they Do Nothing this turn and move on to the next player (that may sound harsh, but I've seen that kind of player behavior grind a game to a halt).

If you're unsure of a rule make a judgement call and move on. Don't waste time rummaging through the rules in mid session. Make a note and look it up after the session is over. If you were wrong, just let the players know, inform them of the correct rule and you'll know for the next time it comes up.

Also don't bite off more than you can chew, especially when it comes to group size. More players means more downtime. This is especially important in online games where large gaps between a player's turn to act can lead to them getting distracted by other things (which in turn increases downtime for everybody else).
Old 03-29-2017, 10:25 PM   #46
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripton View Post
I'll second this, especially GCS. Its free, runs on java and works really well.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote