Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-04-2015, 10:23 AM   #11
Railstar

Default Re: [F] Vampire Mage spells are skills or techniques?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
The quoted part in the OP includes the "study, or spell research" bit from the text about getting new VBM spells. Study includes being tutored or reading a spellbook.
Thanks for the clarification. I read it without the comma and took it to mean study as functionally spell research.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:23 AM   #12
Leon

I know perhaps what happened. One author wrote about Blood Magic, and another one (maybe even the same, writing long after) confused "require study, or spell research based on Ritual Magic" with just "based on Ritual Magic" when writing about Mage Vampire, and than the mistake was reinforced.

I don't know if you're getting the implication of that. It means a can *hopefully* contribute with the GURPS Fantasy errata! Almost 10 years after it's publication! It's something i would hang on my wall and be proud for the rest of my life! Mwahahahaha

I don't know the exact alterations that would be necessary, maybe replace, in Mage Vampire "and spells based upon it" for "and spells learned with it", also making clear that Mage Vampire spells are IQ based.

I hope you don't think very arrogant of my part, but i think it's a fair addition to the errata. With whom i talk to it become a reality? :D

Edit: Well, i sent my suggestion to the Fantasy errata by email like in the instructions. Wish me luck.

Last edited by Leon; 05-04-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:05 AM   #13
Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Right. Exactly.

The wording is important. It says, "or spell research based on Ritual Magic (Vampiric Blood Magic)." The phrase "based on Ritual Magic" is a modifier attached to "spell research"; it only describes spell research. Rereading the entire section, I don't see anything that makes it apply more broadly.
Oh-my-GOD!

I came back here after all this time to know why my "contribution" to the errata had not worked, only to realize what a fool i was. I had not perceived whswhs was William H. Stoddard, the author himself! - and treated his post as a mere opinion -_-'

Everyone had stopped to listen to my objections and i did not understand under what arguments or reasons that happened. Now, for my amusement, it is more than clear, hahaha.

Just now i realize how silly my question actually was, too, and that it had already been solved in the most definitive way possible. Sorry for have not recognized you Bill, now i will bury my head in the sand like an ostrich (i know they don't really do that, haha) for the apparent insolence i showed. Since an author of GURPS addressed me, i'd like to take the opportunity to say that i greatly admire the work of all of you guys. I'm glad to have solved my problem too, even if it means that i will not enter into the errata's hall of fame ^-^

=***

Last edited by Leon; 10-11-2015 at 03:11 AM.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blood magic, fantasy, racial templates, templates, vampire