Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #331
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Game Geekery - GURPS Content Posts

I think I like it.

You reworked the armor and damage values, and I think I like the final effect. Damage modifiers are gone, but damage and armor is raised. I do like that everything has some armor, even if its just clothing.

If the bow does the full 3d damage, I'd make sure to insist they draw arrows and pull it back like normal.

The wizard feels a touch underwhelming, at least from a combat perspective. You do go out of your way to emphasize that the wizard is the smart guy, so maybe they will latch onto that. The Spell! trait could also see a lot of use, if they use it for things like detecting where desired items are, turning invisible, seeing through walls, and other classics, but I don't know if a beginning player will ask about that.

I'm not sure if the staff is supposed to do ranged damage or melee damage.

The Dwarf warrior "Strong" Damage needs to agree on whether we're rolling 2d twice or 3d.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:54 PM   #332
mook

Thanks, ericthered, good notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Damage modifiers are gone, but damage and armor is raised.
I like this too. It's one of many things that a more experienced gamer would balk at ("Why does a club do the same damage as a sword?"), but this group won't care about (at least, very probably).

Quote:
If the bow does the full 3d damage, I'd make sure to insist they draw arrows and pull it back like normal.
This is kind of the reverse of the above, because I would find it distracting to picture an archer pulling, nocking, and firing an arrow every second, whereas I think a new player would just see "Everyone else gets to do something every turn and I have to aim," so I may give 'em a break on that.

I like the elegance of everyone doing the same damage too, except the Wizard on the low end and the Warrior on the high end. I think style over substance edges out for me.

Quote:
The wizard feels a touch underwhelming, at least from a combat perspective.
Mm, I honestly could have given more thought to the three spells. Elemental Attack seems fine, but I may change the others and/or add a fourth.

Quote:
I'm not sure if the staff is supposed to do ranged damage or melee damage.
Melee damage, and as s/he's a bit frail-ish, the only one that does 2d instead of 3d with their main physical weapon.

Quote:
The Dwarf warrior "Strong" Damage needs to agree on whether we're rolling 2d twice or 3d.
Oops, good catch, they should both read 3d. I wanted to give the Dwarf a damage bonus for such a high strength, but a full 4d seemed too high so I figured 3d with "best of two rolls" would make the point.

Appreciate the feedback.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:32 AM   #333
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I'd at least drop the damage done by the bow if you keep it at 1 attack per round. Its very powerful, especially when you consider that the ranger's attack skill is the highest of anyone's. I suppose you could counter that by using range penalties, but that feels more complicated than just making the archer declare their target one turn and then resolving the attack the next.

I don't think 4d is over-whelming, given that the character has 7 DR and 15 HP, but I can see where you are coming from.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #334
mook

If you're curious how the "Starship Troopers" game ran at the Gamex convention a few weeks back, I've posted up some thoughts on things I (re)learned from it.

Short version? It was hella fun, I'd GM it again in a heartbeat, but it could have been a little better had I remembered previously-learned lessons.

Special bonus list of completely unrelated weekend anecdotes!
Old 06-27-2019, 10:36 AM   #335
mook

"Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
40 years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes! The dead rising from the grave!
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!"

Well, folks, it finally happened -- after nearly 30 years of GURPS monogamy, I broke the fast and DMed a game of D&D 5E last weekend. Why should you care? Well, naturally it led to some GURPS thoughts, hence today's post.

Read on for one GURPSer's experience sticking a toe back in D&D!

Last edited by mook; 06-27-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #336
mook

PCs Old and New - The Biker Crew

Work's been insane, but I did manage to GM a GURPS one-shot last week, reusing one of my older convention games ("Hell on Wheels," about bikers and werewolves).

I streamlined down the PCs, though, so that the players, unfamiliar with GURPS, could grok them quicker. This gave an opportunity to compare two different versions of the same characters side-by-side, one using the full-on official character sheet, the other a radically more simple sheet.

Which do you prefer? For sure it depends on the specific game, but in general I find simpler is better for one-shots (while ongoing campaigns are the exact opposite -- every scrap of data I can jam onto the character sheet to avoid having to look anything up, the better).
Old 08-09-2019, 06:51 PM   #337
mook

A Race Through The Chaos

Well, I am officially on the books for Gateway 2019, folks. If you're planning to attend, I'll be GMing this Friday 2pm-6pm, and Saturday and Sunday 9am-1pm. Should be fun!

"Want to play a robot? A raccoon? A wizard? A robotic raccoon wizard? We’ll use GURPS to create whatever* character you want before sending it and the others to the multidimensional, anything-goes city of Locus for some action and adventure.

No prior GURPS experience needed, this will be teach as we go.

* The goal is to make four PCs in about an hour, leaving the rest for play time."
Old 09-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #338
mook

Howdy, Folks!

All sorts of goodies today. I chat about how my recent convention game went, things I learned from it to take forward, downloads of all the PCs the groups created, and a new GURPS character creation checklist for quicker characters.

There's also a second post that outlines what I'm hoping to include in a future blog series, "GURPS for One-Shots."

Enjoy, let me know what you think, and since I haven't mentioned it in a while -- come join us on the unofficial GURPS Discord!
Old 12-31-2019, 06:45 PM   #339
mook

'Ello, GURPS aficionados, like a cursed weapon I'm back yet again. A heartfelt wish to you all for a new year of possibilities and good things!

I'm ending the year with the ubiquitous look back at what 2019 meant for me, the blog, and GURPS/SJG in general (as well as a fervent desire to bring things more into focus in 2020).

Hope you enjoy the reminisce and find some of the new stuff I'm tinkering with helpful to your games. GURPS has an amazing player community.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #340
mook

Howdy, Folks,

Since there seem to be so many gamers looking to move their games online recently, I took a little break to write a post giving an overview of some ways to do it, actual play videos, tons of links to get started, that sort of thing.

This is a great time to hop into online gaming, I hope some of this helps you make the big virtual jump!

Tags
blog, blogs