Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
chandley

Default Re: [DF] PCs in town with thieves stealing their loot

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
I generally don't. When I'm playing DF I don't want to pay any more attention to town than I need to.

[...]

But generally, I avoid town plots. Taxmen, plague, war, politics, thieves and all that jazz shouldn't interfere with the players' plans to find a hole full of fantastic and/or magical beings, murder them, and take their stuff.
Im with martinl here, it has been my experience that if you inflict the above on your players, they inflict themselves on the above. Taking their stuff is what monsters do, and PC's have a ready response to monsters. Especially in DF, where social weapons where _specifically excluded as choices_. The characters all have hammers, but no saws or wrenches. Lots of stuff is going to get pounded like a nail in that situation.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post

Im with martinl here, it has been my experience that if you inflict the above on your players, they inflict themselves on the above. Taking their stuff is what monsters do, and PC's have a ready response to monsters. Especially in DF, where social weapons where _specifically excluded as choices_. The characters all have hammers, but no saws or wrenches. Lots of stuff is going to get pounded like a nail in that situation.
This is quite true. As "[DF]" is in the subject line, we have cause to be literal-minded and limit discussion to the contents of supplements with GURPS Dungeon Fantasy on the front. In the series to date, the Town Watch and King's Men just win against the PCs; the Merchants', Thieves', and Wizards' Guilds come out on top of any dispute; and shadowy NPC forces have a complete monopoly on power-item recharges, potions, scrolls, etc. Until GURPS Dungeon Fantasy ??: Town Adventures is written and released, the PCs have a right not to be hassled in town, because there are no rules for avoiding the hassle or seeking recourse against it, and few templates that offer any social abilities at all.

The GM keeps PCs from getting too rich by not giving out too much loot in the first place. If he misjudges, that's his problem – making the game less fun for the players, who doubtless feel that they've done well and deserve the reward, is no solution. This is doubly true if the GM plans to have the loot vanish into the night, never to be seen again, and have attempts to track it down result in facing off against an entire Thieves' Guild or even the legitimate authorities. The time-honored way to remove loot from delvers is to give them something to spend it on: accommodations (if only $150/week at the inn), better gear, consumables (arrows, potions, power-item recharges, etc.), overpriced magic items, training, and so on.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
b-dog

I am also curious about how you would handle a theif ring that uses a distraction to interact with the PCs while the others attempt to steal. Examples might be a begger asking for money, a beautiful woman, a fake bar fight, a person dressed like a wizard and casting showy magical spells, a person dressed as a town guard, a fake magic shop ect.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post

I am also curious about how you would handle a theif ring that uses a distraction to interact with the PCs while the others attempt to steal. Examples might be a begger asking for money, a beautiful woman, a fake bar fight, a person dressed like a wizard and casting showy magical spells, a person dressed as a town guard, a fake magic shop ect.
Those are all clear-cut cases of Quick Contests of deception skill (Acting, Disguise, Fast-Talk, Propaganda, Sex Appeal, Sleight of Hand, etc.) vs. Perception or Per-based skill roll (Detect Lies, Observation, Per-based Streetwise, etc.). It's plausible to give the NPCs +1 or +2 for home-ground advantage and/or associates' complementary skill rolls, but at typical NPC skill levels (10-12), 250-point PCs won't fall for this easily.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #15
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Those are all clear-cut cases of Quick Contests of deception skill (Acting, Disguise, Fast-Talk, Propaganda, Sex Appeal, Sleight of Hand, etc.) vs. Perception or Per-based skill roll (Detect Lies, Observation, Per-based Streetwise, etc.). It's plausible to give the NPCs +1 or +2 for home-ground advantage and/or associates' complementary skill rolls, but at typical NPC skill levels (10-12), 250-point PCs won't fall for this easily.
Unless our clever NPCs get them drunk, first!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #16
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
But I mean suppose a begger comes to the PCs and begs for money. I would imagine it would not be too hard to have a high skill pretending to be a begger but even if the person was found by the PCs to not be a begger then the PCs are distracted though and if other parts of the thief ring try to swipe some objects it still should be easier for them to do so?
Old 10-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #17
Mathulhu

Complimentary Skills, a successful roll on the first skill gives +1 to the second skill.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #18
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
But I mean suppose a begger comes to the PCs and begs for money. I would imagine it would not be too hard to have a high skill pretending to be a begger but even if the person was found by the PCs to not be a begger then the PCs are distracted though and if other parts of the thief ring try to swipe some objects it still should be easier for them to do so?
Since this is a DF-centric discussion, let me recommend adapting the rules on p. 10 of DF10: Taverns. A beggar seeking to distract the PCs would impose -2 to their perception checks to notice the skullduggery.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #19
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Since this is a DF-centric discussion, let me recommend adapting the rules on p. 10 of DF10: Taverns. A beggar seeking to distract the PCs would impose -2 to their perception checks to notice the skullduggery.
Thanks. I am starting to think that a town near a dungeon will be very sketchy instead of being a sleepy town like Homlet. Gygax was right when he made the Temple of Elemental Evil and he had the town of Nulb near the evil temple. I feel that the evil from the dungeon would attract the more unsavory types like bandits and brigands and those who may practice questionable religions or practice unholy magic. The good folk would not likely want to live near a dungeon so the town would likely be filled with less moral people. That is why I am curious about small scale thief rings and that sort of stuff for PCs to encounter in a town.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #20
DanHoward

In the DF universe a town doesn't seem to be anything other than a plot device to let the players dispose of loot, buy more gear, and to help them get started on their next expedition.