Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-25-2019, 11:42 PM   #1
Decadence

Default Godlike Extra Effort.

I found a bit of confusion on how it works.. would somebody clarify for me exactly what it does, and what makes it so powerful?
Decadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:36 AM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Godlike Extra Effort.

Yeah I found the wording confusing myself. The trick is to make sure you understand Extra Effort first.

Extra Effort allows a Will roll (can be replaced with skills) at -1 per +5% effect up to +100% effect at Will -20.
This costs 1 FP and can effectively double your abilities effect.
Godlike Extra Effort removes the cap and changes the +5% to (+5% * FP spent).
So if you have a lot of FP you can get very powerful effects pretty cheaply.

To abuse Extra Effort rules you need to build for it but its not that hard and a dedicated munchkin will do so.
Consider +1 Will or skill for 4 points and +1 ER for 3 points(Like on limitations making it cheaper). Add in Regeneration for FP and you can have a very powerful burst type character.
Even without being that extreme its potent.
Normally with Extra Effort you could increase your ability by +100% for Will -10 and 1 FP. However Giodlike Extra Effort gives you more flexibility.
So +100% can be reached by...
Will -10 and 1 FP
Will -1 and 20 FP
Will -2 and 10 FP
Will -4 and 5 FP
etc. That last is pretty doable and also there is no +100% limit.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 08-26-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:24 AM   #3
CarrionPeacock

Godlike Extra Effort seems useful to make psionics more useful in high/ultra tech settings. Using Psionic Powers/Psi Tech rules, extra effort costs 2 FP and gives +10% per -1 to the roll, power amplifiers halves the FP costs and gives +4 to talent which effectively gives +40% enhancements. For an extra -1 you can get AD(2) to have a better chance of getting past armor.
CarrionPeacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:45 AM   #4
AlexanderHowl

The rule allows you to increase the level of a power by +5% × FP/ER spent per -1 on a Will roll, up to +100% × FP/ER spent on a -20 Will roll. So, a character with IQ 12, Will 20, ER (Psychic; TK Only, -50%) 20, PK Talent 4, and TK 20 (Reliable +10, +50%) could potentially spend 20 ER to boost their TK by 2,000% for one minute (to ST 420) by rolling 14- on a Will roll.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote