Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-12-2015, 07:49 AM   #11
Varyon

Default Re: [RPM] [Sorcery] Merging the Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
1. Accept that what you're doing is going to be 100% fiat.
Done.

Quote:
2. Decide which of the two is your standard. Are you going to build every spell as an RPM ritual, or are you going to build every spell as a sorcery ability?
The former.

Quote:
3. Come up with some ratio between the two that seems to produce fairly sane results.
This is, of course, my current issue. Some experimentation indicates (energy/2) is about right - it overcharges for some spells (like Amplify Injury or Death Touch - these would be around [15] each with Sorcery, but are [32] and [24], respectively, under my proposal), undercharges for some (Fireball would be [13] with Sorcery, and is [9] with my system), and is just right for some others (Air Jet and Alertness are [9] and around [7], respectively, in both systems).

Quote:
4. Playtest, playtest, playtest, and keep tweaking step 3's ratio -- or come up with a more complex formula ("full cost = 11 + (energy/8.4)") -- until you get the results you want.
Yeah, I was hoping for some ideas to get close to something workable before going to this step. A more complex formula - particularly one that is different for different builds - might get us something very close to perfectly accurate, but would be annoying and probably negate the whole point of simply converting energy->character points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Well, I would start with Energy Reserve X (One Ritual Only, -80%) [X] numbers. You just need some other way of regenerating your Energy Reserve really freaking fast or upping the cost of the Sorcery-Ritual-Advantage in order to make up for that. But, anyway, my point is that I would start there.
An interesting concept. That's [0.6]/level, and would be set up as an Alternate Ability to 80% of the cost of Magery and Ritual Adept (as in the process you're essentially reducing those to One Ritual Only). I've always felt that burning 1 FP for an "instant" energy gathering is probably fair, so you're arguably hovering close to my (energy/2) guideline, although recharging is likely going to either cost more than 1 FP or take longer than being merely instant. It appears I'm in the right ballpark - (energy/1.5) might be closer to the mark, but (energy/2) makes the math a lot easier.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #12
Randyman

Default Re: [RPM] [Sorcery] Merging the Systems

It has occurred to me that a merging of the two systems would look very similar to the system in GURPS Voodoo: The Shadow War.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ritual path magic, sorcery