Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-17-2010, 12:32 AM   #41
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: Fan Dungeon for GURPS DF now Up

I also want to add a complement for the lower levels. Very Clive Barker, and unexpectedly so.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:23 AM   #42
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
The model is certainly useful to me. I wouldn't use it to calculate the outcome of a fight but it gives me useful information when I try to eyeball things.
Im glad its helping you greg in whatever capacity :)

Use it in good health and good gaming :)

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #43
Greg 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
I also want to add a complement for the lower levels. Very Clive Barker, and unexpectedly so.
Clive Barker? Sweet! :D
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #44
mlangsdorf

So I started putting this together on MapTools, with the eventual plan of possibly adopting it for my own DF group. I've mostly finished the first level. In doing so, a bunch of questions came up:

1) How high are the ceilings throughout the complex? Presumably at least 10' in the orc halls, but it isn't ever made clear.

2) There are a lot of doors in the place, at least per Kuroshima's maps. The text only mentions a few of them. Are any of the rest expected to be locked, wedged, barred or anything like that? How big are the doors, for that matter?

3) Are there any sources of light? Presumably there are fires in the kitchens, and there's a brazier in the prisoner room. Infravision lets the orcs and the bugbears see in the dark, but not in color. They did a lot of painting at some point, so it seems like there should be lights.

4) Rooms 2 & 3 have the same description. What's up with that?

5) In rooms 2 & 3, there are supposed to be 60 beds apiece. 60 beds, each 1 yard wide and 2 yards long and with 1/4 yard clearance on all sides take up 90% of the space in the room. Access space for the 6 doors take up the rest. Either something should be changed, or there should be some notes about how to resolve a fight when everyone is fighting in 1.5' wide aisles amongst a mass of stinky beds. Personally, I like the second concept.

6) Are their chimneys in the kitchen, workshop, and prisoner room (aka the old armory)? If so, where do they exit on the upper level? Pixie, shapeshifting, or leprechaun PCs might use them to scout or stage hit and run raids. If there aren't chimneys, some notes on fighting the cooks in a smoke-filled room would spice up the combat.

7. Are The Hell Boars chained to the outside walls or the statue?

8. What is with the weapon and armor stats? The orcs in the Chieftain's hall are wearing 80 lbs of mail that doesn't slow them down for some reason. The bugbears are wearing 200 lbs of mail, which should put them in Medium encumbrance and hefty penalty to Move and Dodge. Also, as a starting DF PC, I'd definitely want to be able to buy some of those el-cheapo Orcish broadswords ($50 is a lot better than $200, the usual price for a cheap broadsword). Wouldn't it be simpler to call them axes?

9. Do you any thoughts on how many CPs the PCs should be earning? Looking ahead, I don't think 250 CP characters are going to manage the Forgotten King.

Thank you doing all the hard work in coming up with this adventure and writing it up. I do admire the perseverance necessary to do so. Please take these questions in the spirit of wanting to improve the adventure, and not as disparagement or insult.

Last edited by mlangsdorf; 09-19-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Typos, more questions
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #45
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
In an actual game, players will come up with cunning plans, sneakers will undertake recon, warriors will strike for the vulnerable bits, and, as you pointed out, spellcasters will cast spells.
Yes. And you want players to do this, and reward them for this.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:24 AM   #46
mlangsdorf

Bumping this thread in hopes of getting some answers to my questions.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:43 AM   #47
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Bumping this thread in hopes of getting some answers to my questions.
On one of your questions as the author of the maps I simply added the doors I felt I needed. I played the adventure with them unlocked unless the adventure said otherwise.

Btw if you need gridless maps or maps with a specific resolution or format I'll be happy to oblige.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #48
Bruno

Quote:
5) In rooms 2 & 3, there are supposed to be 60 beds apiece. 60 beds, each 1 yard wide and 2 yards long and with 1/4 yard clearance on all sides take up 90% of the space in the room. Access space for the 6 doors take up the rest. Either something should be changed, or there should be some notes about how to resolve a fight when everyone is fighting in 1.5' wide aisles amongst a mass of stinky beds. Personally, I like the second concept.
So do I. Especially when Ystävä will either be stepping over the beds (counting as bad footing instead of obstacles probably), or bumping his head on the ceiling and forced to shove them aside. I'm good with both :D Also lets you bring in the Combat at Different Levels rules, which is always fun.

I started a thread a while ago about combat in awkward places, it might be useful.

Quote:
6) Are their chimneys in the kitchen, workshop, and prisoner room (aka the old armory)? If so, where do they exit on the upper level? Pixie, shapeshifting, or leprechaun PCs might use them to scout or stage hit and run raids. If there aren't chimneys, some notes on fighting the cooks in a smoke-filled room would spice up the combat.
Also awesome sounding.

Quote:
8. What is with the weapon and armor stats? The orcs in the Chieftain's hall are wearing 80 lbs of mail that doesn't slow them down for some reason. The bugbears are wearing 200 lbs of mail, which should put them in Medium encumbrance and hefty penalty to Move and Dodge. Also, as a starting DF PC, I'd definitely want to be able to buy some of those el-cheapo Orcish broadswords ($50 is a lot better than $200, the usual price for a cheap broadsword). Wouldn't it be simpler to call them axes?
Are they supposed to be the Very-Cheap swords from Fantasy Tech, perhaps? But even a blunt tipped Very Cheap Broadsword should be $100 by my math.

Very Cheap Small Falcheons would be $40
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #49
Greg 1

Many apologies!

I completely missed the questions.

Quote:
So I started putting this together on MapTools, with the eventual plan of possibly adopting it for my own DF group.
Oh great!

Quote:
1) How high are the ceilings throughout the complex? Presumably at least 10' in the orc halls, but it isn't ever made clear.
Good question! 10' sounds right for most of the orc halls but the temples should have higher roofs. I was assuming that GMs would just wing the height of the roofs but maybe that's useful information. Does Maptools need it? Can it vary from room to room?

Quote:
2) There are a lot of doors in the place, at least per Kuroshima's maps. The text only mentions a few of them. Are any of the rest expected to be locked, wedged, barred or anything like that?
The assumption was that if the text didn't say otherwise, the door was not locked, wedged or barred. Maybe I should say that explicitly.

Quote:
How big are the doors, for that matter?
Good question. Does Maptools require an answer before you can use it?

I'll get back to this thread in a moment.

Thanks for the great questions!
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #50
Bruno

I think it's more my 9' tall PC with Reach 3 Horns on his head makes little questions like that acutely relevant :D

(Minotaur Barbarian with the Longhorn powerup from DF Powerups...)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, adventures, dungeon, dungeon fantasy, gurps dungeon fantasy