Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy: Adventures and Dungeons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
But only for certain values of "soon." The first draft went in a week and a half ago. It gets an editorial review, probably revisions, then some kind of playtest or peer review, then final draft revisions, then actual editing, then production, and then it gets published. Several months at least.
Something like this value of soon?
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I have an outstanding proposal for one. Unfortunately I got stuck on it; as I couldn't seem to make the outline jibe with what I feel is logical organization for an adventure.
Yeah, I'm running into a similar problem: the existing "adventure" template doesn't fit what I personally would consider a Dungeon Fantasy adventure. The standard adventure template assumes a non-fixed, genericized location or locations: it's more about plot than place. Which is fine, but not DF (to me).
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #13
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunoz View Post
The standard adventure template assumes a non-fixed, genericized location or locations: it's more about plot than place.
The first part is not entirely true, but the second part is. The adventure template looks at any given location in two ways. One is generic (a bar, a remote outpost in space); the other is specific (Throg's Orcish Bar and Grill, Space Patrol Forward Base #392).

This is part of what enables plot to take precedence over place. The generic description sets out the essential requirements if the GM needs to adapt the adventure to his campaign. Non-humans don't exist in this particular game world? Fall back on the generic description, maybe letting the GM slot in a native barbaric culture. Different outer space law-enforcement mechanisms? Fall back on the generic description, letting the GM fill in a military organization or self-policing asteroid miners' cooperative.

So, then, where does this leave DF adventures? Well, yes, a dead-simple adventure which consists solely of killing things and taking their stuff is, in terms of SJ Games outlines, probably a location rather than an adventure. However, although DF adventures should be mostly Kill-Things-Take-Stuff, they don't have to be all KTTS. For example, even in a single dungeon complex, adventurers may have a rudimentary plot to follow in the form of "coupon collecting" (say, gathering a number of magical gems to unlock the door to the final treasure vault), puzzle-solving (figuring out the riddles of the andro- and gynosphinxes), and social activity (interrogating prisoners for important information or bluffing guards).

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #14
Rasputin

There is something I did that might be somehow relevant.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #15
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
The first part is not entirely true, but the second part is. The adventure template looks at any given location in two ways. One is generic (a bar, a remote outpost in space); the other is specific (Throg's Orcish Bar and Grill, Space Patrol Forward Base #392).
Okay, reading through the template again I can see this distinction more clearly. Location vs. Pre-Gen Location + Pre-Gen Maps.

It is definitely the case that the adventure template gives priority to plot - as in, for example, "This chapter [Events] covers the plot, and is the meat of the book." The adventure template was designed, I would expect, on assumptions that pre-date the existence of the Dungeon Fantasy series.

One other way of looking at it (very overgeneralized) is that, given the "generic location" idea, there is an assumption that a GM is going to a published GURPS adventure to find a good plotline to follow, to be filled out using his or her existing locations. I would suspect that a Dungeon Fantasy GM, however, is more likely to have a plot ready to hand (even if it's nothing more than "yay! let's go kill things!") and needs a fleshed out set of locations in which to place it.

Last edited by kmunoz; 09-12-2010 at 03:39 PM.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #16
Greg 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
There is something I did that might be somehow relevant.
I strongly suggest that you add that to the list of unofficial GURPS Netbooks at RPG.net here

http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/List_o...GURPS_Netbooks

I think it would be useful to have some fan dungeons out there. In that spirit, here is something I just put up that is also relevant

http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Beneath_Castle_Everglory

Feedback much appreciated. Thread about it here:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=73100
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventures, dungeon fantasy