Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 10-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #131
Great Blue Salmon

Default Re: Member House Rules

My friends started a house rule on accident. I think they just failed to read the actual Munchkin rules closely.

If a player kicks down a door and doesn't draw a monster, that player has to look for trouble. If he or she doesn't play a monster from his/her hand, any other player can play a monster him/her.

Only one monster can be played. Additional monsters can only be added through "Wandering Monster" or if the monster card allows it (adding bats to bats in Munchkin Bites, for example).

If no one wants to play a monster, then the player continues to the "Loot The Room" phase.

This seems to make for a longer game. Initially I had reservations, but I now find it a cool rule tweak.
Great Blue Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:31 AM   #132
-ScreenName-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizznox View Post
The only real house rule we have is that you have to have at least 3 cards in your hand to use the Wizard's Charm power.
our house rule about the wizard's charm power is you have to discard your whole hand to charm a monster but you have to have at least as many cards as the amount of treasure the monster normally gives. so if you fight a potted plant, you only need 1 card in your hand to charm it; but if you fight the plutonium dragon you need at least 5 cards in your hand to charm it.
-ScreenName- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #133
Puuka

With SGF, allow the Fairy Godfather and the Tooth Fairy to be added in to combat with the Sparkling Good Fairy without needing a wandering monster card
Puuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:06 PM   #134
RL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puuka View Post
With SGF, allow the Fairy Godfather and the Tooth Fairy to be added in to combat with the Sparkling Good Fairy without needing a wandering monster card
Ooh! I like that one.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:13 PM   #135
Puuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cloman View Post
Ooh! I like that one.
It's a small chance of it happening, but it's a possible +19 to her (for a 39 point combat before any other modifiers)

I would almost consider getting 1 FD card for defeating either of them too.

(This could apply to any other monsters with "Fairy" in their name to come out in the future.)
Puuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:02 AM   #136
Blu

We made the monsters printed level double if you were epic last night. It made it more interesting for sure, and a bit more of a challange.
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:22 AM   #137
-ScreenName-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puuka View Post
i like that one too.
-ScreenName- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #138
Duck of Many Things

We had a series of disputes that we initially resolved by going onto the forums, but after an issue with Typecast, my father held that the official decision on the forums still contradicted common logic, triggering an ongoing dispute between "spirit of the card" and the literal meaning. We're planning to branch away from the official rules (probably a stupid move) and make a house rule constitution. We found the necessity in a book of compiled house rules explaining game order and logic, especially with the addition of about 30+ custom cards (most of which are mine).

For example, a common house rule we have accepted is that: you can still attack a monster, even if it does not pursue you; only if the card explicitly says "WILL NOT ATTACK" will the monster not attack. After "encountering" a monster that does not fight (Monsters Are Busy, Out To Lunch, will not pursue), one can then loot the room, but not look for trouble. Also, a player can bypass the die roll for "running away" and go straight to Charity if a Monster's bad stuff does not affect the player in any way.

In our game, Kneepads of Allure are NOT banned - come on, I think banning it is silly. Annihilate it, sell it, trade it, or steal it if you're that desperate to get rid of it. We've even determined an artificial way of getting a game master, with the addition of a card I've created called the "Enclosed Instruction Book." The basic gist - whoever possesses this card has the ultimate ruling in any argument as explicitly defined by a third party. It's an item, which means it can be stolen or destroyed or interacted through other means as befits items.

Last edited by Duck of Many Things; 11-03-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Duck of Many Things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #139
RL

In regards to attacking a monster that won't pursue you, that doesn't need to be a house rule. It just means the escape is automatic if you can't beat the monster and have to run away.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #140
Duck of Many Things

We never interpreted that way. I think the rule we came up with was that, if a card says "will not pursue," you can choose either to leave, or fight the monster. Of course, if you fight, you're committed to the combat and you have to run away and suffer Bad Stuff as normal. By your logic, it would mean that you would lose a level immediately if you drew the Wight Brothers, because the card says "lose a level even if you escape," but it also says "will not pursue characters level 4 (give or take) or below." Our reasoning holds that a low level player does not have to deal with the card, period, and can loot the room without penalty.

Our reasoning is probably (definitely) not what the designers intended, but it seems to work well for us.
Duck of Many Things is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combining different, doors, dummy hand, epic, extras, funny, gambling, gameplay, house rules, multi-deck, munchkin, munchkin zombies, new way to play, rules, rules variant, team, teams, two player, zombie dice