Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 11-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
Elberon

Default character gen Q's (rules as written)

Hi there

Just been re-reading the char gen rules for the first time in years and in there it says you can have a maximum of six levels of resource, but it was worded in such a way as to mean six levels of skills, six levels of songs etc rather than six levels of drive, six levels of small firearms etc.

Is this something you do?

Artifact questions I have had in the past from players and could never reasonably come up with an answer for ;-)
Why buy talismans over improving your skill? Only advantage is loaning it out to someone to boost their skill (but yours drops, it can be stolen etc)
(If total number of skill levels is capped at 6 then this gives a reason at char gen)

Corporeal artifacts, why buy above level 1?

Chris
Elberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
alexondria

Default Re: character gen Q's (rules as written)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberon View Post
Hi there

Just been re-reading the char gen rules for the first time in years and in there it says you can have a maximum of six levels of resource, but it was worded in such a way as to mean six levels of skills, six levels of songs etc rather than six levels of drive, six levels of small firearms etc.

Is this something you do?
I see what you mean, but I think it's just a matter of it being worded badly. By the rules an angel/demon has 9 forces to start with. That is 36 points for resources. It lists 6 categories. Thus if you really are limited to putting 6 points in any given category you would have to put 6 points in each of them or lose out on points. I don't think the rules are meant to force each character to have 6 points worth of servants for example. Also if you look at the example characters on the next page the Angel has 12 levels of songs and 7 of skills. The Mummy has 11 levels of skills (assuming Tongue which I'm not sure what is is it's own thing at level 6). Then he has 10 levels of songs.

Last edited by alexondria; 11-12-2014 at 03:43 PM.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
Elberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexondria View Post
I see what you mean, but I think it's just a matter of it being worded badly. By the rules an angel/demon has 9 forces to start with. That is 36 points for resources. It lists 6 categories. Thus if you really are limited to putting 6 points in any given category you would have to put 6 points in each of them or lose out on points. I don't think the rules are meant to force each character to have 6 points worth of servants for example. Also if you look at the example characters on the next page the Angel has 12 levels of songs and 7 of skills. The Mummy has 11 levels of skills (assuming Tongue which I'm not sure what is is it's own thing at level 6). Then he has 10 levels of songs.
True about sample characters (though do remember 6 levels of Role Dr would cost more than 6 points ;-) )

SO scratch Levels question, any thoughts on artifact questions ;-)
Old 11-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
alexondria

Quote:
Hi there

Artifact questions I have had in the past from players and could never reasonably come up with an answer for ;-)
Why buy talismans over improving your skill? Only advantage is loaning it out to someone to boost their skill (but yours drops, it can be stolen etc)
(If total number of skill levels is capped at 6 then this gives a reason at char gen)
All I have in front of me is the core book, but it looks like a good way to bypass the limit of only 6 levels. So say you have a gun talisman that is level 3, the gun skill at 5 (that will give you an effective skill level of 8), and a precision of 2, you will need to roll a 10 or less to succeed.

There is also the "I would love my character to be able to do Y, but I can't think of a reason he would have learned that..." "I know he found a talisman of that when the did blah in his background."

Quote:
Chris
The whole point to a corporeal artifact is being able to find it if it goes missing. The higher the level the easier that is as you roll against total corp forces + the level of the artifact.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexondria View Post
he Mummy has 11 levels of skills (assuming Tongue which I'm not sure what is is it's own thing at level 6). Then he has 10 levels of songs.
Toungue is one of the Numinous Corpus Songs.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:53 AM   #6
Methariel

Quote:

Well, I know you shouldn't answer questions if you can't look them up or know the facts with absolute certainty, but I just can't help myself...

I'd like to second alexondria on Talismans. They're also a way to generate "CD overflow-bonuses" (or boni(?)), if, for whatever reason, you can't raise the relevant attribute in such a way that it causes the "overflow-bonus" combined with the skill level of itself (maybe your Superior isn't too fond of Servitors raising their stats on their own). And they can increase the "overflow", of course. Just imagine that Mercurian of Trade with Will 6, Fast-Talk/6 and Shiny Cuff Links (Talisman: Fast Talk/4). Even though he and that wild-eyed chick in the torn biker jacket weren't on the guest list, it was the right thing to do to let them have access to Senator Pierce's reception. And of course they were allowed to take their doberman with them.

Corporeal Artifacts have, at least since the Liber Reliquarum, another quality: If I'm not mistaken, they're like a Role regarding Disturbances caused by their use - you can roll against the Corporeal Artifact's level to mask a Disturbance. I think that improved their usefulness.

M.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:26 AM   #7
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methariel View Post
Corporeal Artifacts have, at least since the Liber Reliquarum, another quality: If I'm not mistaken, they're like a Role regarding Disturbances caused by their use - you can roll against the Corporeal Artifact's level to mask a Disturbance. I think that improved their usefulness.
Yup. But any celestial gets a chance to recognise them on sight, so they're not a good idea if you're trying to maintain a Role.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
Elberon

Thank you all ;-)

Tags
tips