Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
A Grue

Default Death and Discords

My players and I have a question and we're finding conflicting information in the core rule book. I'd love to get outside opinions on this so it doesn't become GM vs Players vs Rule Book issue.

Here on p.68 of our core rulebook, it states "a celestial who is completely lacking in one type of Force gains a Discord of that type." But how is this a logical effect, especially for total loss of corporeal forces? If you don't have a vessel (dead) or any stats for those discords to affect, then why even bother slamming an already down and out PC with additional penalties? It seems unnecessary and impossible to implement.

If anyone's encountered total loss of forces in one area with their players, please let me know how you handled it. Or if Beth can point out errata or edits to clarify this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Last edited by A Grue; 03-24-2014 at 03:50 PM.
A Grue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
Matthias Wasser

Default Re: Death and Discords

It can become relevant if they acquire new Forces. As for fairness, well, if that's a priority, you may be playing with the wrong system.
Matthias Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Grue View Post
My players and I have a question and we're finding conflicting information in the core rule book. I'd love to get outside opinions on this so it doesn't become GM vs Players vs Rule Book issue.

Here on p.68 of our core rulebook, it states "a celestial who is completely lacking in one type of Force gains a Discord of that type." But how is this a logical effect, especially for total loss of corporeal forces? If you don't have a vessel (dead) or any stats for those discords to affect, then why even bother slamming an already down and out PC with additional penalties? It seems unnecessary and impossible to implement.

If anyone's encountered total lose of forces in one area with their players, please let me know how you handled it. Or if Beth can point out errata or edits to clarify this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
I never noted this rule, but I will venture an uninformed opinion.

Essentially, you have a crack in the soul of the character and to reflect the intrinsic flaw in the being, the Discord represents the 'hole in his soul'.

One assumes that IF the Remenant is found and healed (Something that probably takes an Arch/DP), the Discord will be dealt with at the same time.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
A Grue

Thanks for the opinions, mates. We're still mulling it over on this end.

The greater context is that we have player who wants to start out as a remnant, so we're backing up, making a whole character, and then shredding it down to remnant status.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
Whitelaughter

For Remnants, Discord is useful for defining the character's remaining personality; with no Will, and very little intellect, the Celestial Discord becomes their primary motivation.
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelaughter View Post
For Remnants, Discord is useful for defining the character's remaining personality; with no Will, and very little intellect, the Celestial Discord becomes their primary motivation.
Unless they have Roles, in which case they get "lost in the part." But even there, Discord will make itself known.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
A Grue

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Unless they have Roles, in which case they get "lost in the part." But even there, Discord will make itself known.
Creeping out of the woodwork to say thanks to both of you! I love a good "Cause and effect" way of approaching rules and roleplaying. This is great.

EDIT: deleted an irrelevant part, sorry

Last edited by A Grue; 04-30-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Tags
tips