Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-01-2019, 11:57 AM   #11
Dalin

Default Re: 1e AD&D MM inspired "Evil Humanoids"

Fantastic! Now I want to pull out my old copy of B2 and run it. Time to drum up some players.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #12
Tom H.

Very cool, thanks for posting these creatures.

I'll definitely be coming back to compare in the future.

I like the Kobolds. When I converted a D&D adventure with Kobolds to DFRPG, I switched the Kobolds to Goblinoids because I wanted to use existing creatures from Monsters. Kobolds are not singularly defined in GURPS; there are several representations from different sources. I will compare these to my own creation attempts. Thanks.

I have Reaper Bones miniatures as well, and the depictions of Kobolds are so much cooler than Goblins or Orcs.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:58 AM   #13
Expy

Appreciated, O_L, thank you. Straight into the bestiary :) You know, I've never really tried fodder/worthy level spellcasters in the past (I am a sucker for the mastermind magician, sue me) but these you've made seem quite appealing.
Expy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:01 AM   #14
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expy View Post
Appreciated, O_L, thank you. Straight into the bestiary :) You know, I've never really tried fodder/worthy level spellcasters in the past (I am a sucker for the mastermind magician, sue me) but these you've made seem quite appealing.
I, too, have tended toward powerful wizard opponents. Recently, however, while running Mirror of the Fire Demon, I used some orc shaman spellcasters to great effect. Their spells aren't that powerful (skills are low, FP runs out, etc.), but they definitely cause fear among the PCs and can change the course of battle in fun ways. We had one caster, against-all-odds, succeed at casting spasm on the hand of the bard just before he threw the concussion spell that he had been building. It dropped at his feet and he was stunned for most of the rest of the battle. (This would have been much worse except the rest of the PCs were in an area of magical silence.) Had he succeeded with throwing the spell into the orc barracks, most of the opposition would have been stunned and the party would have mopped up in short order. As it was, the battle became a tension-filled slug-fest with the party heavily outnumbered, and down one PC. It was not a battle that they will forget anytime soon!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:19 AM   #15
Bruno

This is absolutely fantastic! I loves me some B1 and B2, super nostalgic.

These kinds of "bread and butter" monsters make it very easy to grab one of my D&D modules off my shelf and fling something together. Awesomesauce!

If someone is running B2 online, PBP or perhaps in an EST time slot, I can have a barbarian for you :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:36 AM   #16
Ordo_Lyrae

With the spell casters I wanted to avoid missile spells as they wouldn't have the energy to chuck powerful ones more than a couple of times, and I just don't feel it's that interesting. I wanted to give them spells that could throw a curveball at players, stuff that forces them to make will saves, affects battlefields in interesting ways, or counters some PC abilities (Fireproof, Resistance to X). I haven't actually play-tested them yet, so I hope they work well.

Glad people are enjoying the templates. Obviously they can be used for things other than B2, I just wanted humanoids that felt a little closer to the 1e AD&D versions that I grew up with.
Ordo_Lyrae is offline   Reply With Quote