Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
whassumattuh

Default Garage Sale in Combat

Garage Sale says that it can be used ANY time on your turn, implying to me that it can be used during your own combat. My friend used Garage Sale to grab a couple of items during combat. Can he then use those items even though he is in the middle of a combat?

In this specific situation, my friend thought he was going to lose the cards in his hand because the Bad Stuff was to lose his whole hand and he just wanted to try to use as many cards as he could befor he attempted to Run Away. He ended up taking a Loaded Die and Racing Stripes. He attached Racing Stripes to his Steed so that he would have a better chance at Running Away. Is this a legal play? Thanks!!!
whassumattuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Garage Sale in Combat

The rules say you can't play new Items during combat (except one-shot Items). Unless Garage Sale says you can use those new Items right away, even in combat, you can't use the new Items (unless they are one-shot Items). Garage Sale, does not say anything like that, by the way.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
Putney

MM I absolutely agree with you on the fact that you can not normally play items in combat but I also have seen this in the rules
Quote:
ITEMS - PLAYING THEM
Any item card may be played on the table as soon as you get it, or at any time during your own turn.
Because of this rule I figure cards like Garage Sale allow you to play new cards in combat.
Also the promo item "Merry Munchkin Holiday Card", allowing you to draw treasure in combat, would be fairly useless if you could not then play the treasure, or only play it if it where a one shot.
Putney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

You cannot play Items during combat unless a card or rule SPECIFICALLY waives that restriction. I will add this to my list of clarifications that need to be made in v1.6 of the rules.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
Nerftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putney View Post
MM I absolutely agree with you on the fact that you can not normally play items in combat but I also have seen this in the rules

Because of this rule I figure cards like Garage Sale allow you to play new cards in combat.
Also the promo item "Merry Munchkin Holiday Card", allowing you to draw treasure in combat, would be fairly useless if you could not then play the treasure, or only play it if it where a one shot.
How is it useless? It's still a free treasure.
Nerftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
Putney

Well if you used the Christmas card to draw a treasure in combat, as it says you can, and it was your last chance to make or break a combat, and then you get a non-usable only ounce item. In that moment, no matter what it was, because you can not play it, it is essentially useless. One could try to bargain with other players for help with it, but it might be just as easy to loot it from your body, depending on the combat.

Having the ability to play the item because you just got it would change that, but I guess I have to modify my play/instruction now.
Putney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
natesroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
You cannot play Items during combat unless a card or rule SPECIFICALLY waives that restriction. I will add this to my list of clarifications that need to be made in v1.6 of the rules.
Where do i find the 1.5 version of the rules?

Unless you just mean the next version of published rules, I thought that maybe you had made a pdf list of all technical questions (i.e. thief level one ruling)

Last edited by natesroom; 03-25-2011 at 09:53 AM.
natesroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesroom View Post
Where do i find the 1.5 version of the rules?
All the rules are kept here: http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/rules

Quote:
Unless you just mean the next version of published rules, I thought that maybe you had made a pdf list of all technical questions (i.e. thief level one ruling)
1.6 would be the next version that hasn't been released yet. However, all those technical questions are discussed in the FAQ (http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/faq).
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
natesroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
All the rules are kept here: http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/rules

1.6 would be the next version that hasn't been released yet. However, all those technical questions are discussed in the FAQ (http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/faq).
Yeah after i posted i edited mine to add that second line...it made sense to me that he was probably talking about published rules.

I'm not sure where this goes but since your reading it, I Just wanted to say that i bought my first muchkin set in Jan at Sci-Fi City Orlando (if you heard of them) I probably walked by the shelf of these many times over the last 5 years and i always kinda thought it was just a kid game (artwork bias) but the guy really did a good sales job of convincing me that i should buy this game instead of buy carcasonne.

I am so glad he did... !
natesroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:16 PM   #10
ImmortalZod

Further question on this topic. Can you use the Cheat! card to play garage sale in combat to pull a one shot from the discard? My GF tried to do this and ended up quitting the game because I wouldn't budge on saying this wasn't a legal play.
ImmortalZod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, garage sale