Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
b-dog

Default Mana Magic and Mythos Magic interaction idea

I am thinking that combining mana magic with mythos magic poses some interesting ideas. I would think that mythos magic would be a higher tier and would not be defeated by mana magic as it is a weaker magical source. But I feel that having mana mgic be useless against mythos magic is too unfair. The idea I am having is that mana magic will temporarily relieve the afflictions from mythos magic but after a few hours or other desired period of time the mythos magic affliction will resurface and another mana spell would be needed to alleviate the affliction and so on. A mythos magic spell could counter a mythos affliction but it of course would cause Fright Checks to learn and also to cast.

Ideas would be something like a curse from sort of Elder Thing or item and this curse would afflict the recipient until a Remove Curse from mana magic is cast on it. Unfortunately the curse would resurface after a period of time. Only a mythos magic Remove Curse would permanantly remove the curse.

What do you think of this idea? Thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #2
The Benj

Default Re: Mana Magic and Mythos Magic interaction idea

I like it, as long as you can't work around it by just getting your buddy to cast Remove Curse in the morning. That seems too easy.
If it's a short period, to the point where a magician could keep you "clean" full-time, but only if they really focussed on it, that seems good.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
rcarter

I agree completely.

Mythos magic is the manipulation of the universe, that sometimes calls upon or uses the power of the mythos like cthulhu, azathoth, yog-sothoth etc... Some spells from CoC that are not mythos related could be converted and added to the GURPS canon of mana magic but the ones that are related to the outer gods are for sure much more powerful than common magic.

Talks about it in Cthulhupunk alot.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
b-dog

Thanks for the comments. I just like the idea that mana magic isn't completely useless against mythos magic but still mythos magic is the greater power. I love to have the creepiness of mythos magic but still give the PCs a chance to at least delay it's effects should they have enough magical power. Maybe some wounds inflicted by mythos powers can only be healed temporarily too. I just feel that if a wizard can just cast Remove Curse on a mythos curse then the whole evilness of mythos magic is undermined. Anyway thanks for the comments.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:53 AM   #5
rcarter

I just had another thought that might be helpful for you, not sure why i didn't mention it earlier. Came up with the idea before i had a copy of cthulhupunk, but i had thaumatology.

As you can tell from my sig I'm pretty heavy into CoC and the mythos using GURPS rules. I implement the mythos in many campaigns, dark fantasy, sci-fi etc, basically everything.

In my dark fantasy campaign Mythos Cultists are the only Characters whose non-mythos magic works based on threshold magic (from thaumatology). So when it comes to basic spells cultists have the largest amount of potential mana to draw on for spellcasting but they are channelling the power of the malign entities that they worship and so the magic can have powerful side effects when they excede their threshold limits that are usually very bad - very very bad....
Old 06-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
benz72

You might want to let a critical success affect the Mythos magic on par.... Do'nt take away all hope, just enough to make the PC's miserable...

Tags
magic