Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #71
David Johnston2

Default Re: Phantom abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
Then I cannot fathom how the feather could be cut .
Are you familiar with the expression "A wizard did it"?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:55 PM   #72
the_matrix_walker

I'd love to hear a Game Dev statement on this. The notion that a phantom can't pick up an inanimate object just sounds beyond ridiculous to me.

The Apportation and Hinder prerequisites suggest this STRONGLY. Living subjects get a resistance roll to Apportation, inanimate objects to not. GURPS Illusions are magic holograms that can be photographed and are not simply "disbelieved" into vanishing, so they move the resistance to the contest rather than the basic spell for living creatures. Inanimate objects should be affected with just the base roll just like Apportation.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #73
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
These arguments one of the reasons Phanotm got banned in my games. You already have spells within the same college that let you make creations that CAN open doors etc. A questionable inbetween built mostly to emulate the ridiculous illusion rules from AD&D for GURPS really isn't meeting any legitmate game needs.
A more articulate summation of what I wanted to say in post 41. IMO, the spell just shouldn't be used. If you want a very realistic Illusion, use Perfect Illusion; if you want to summon something that actually can do things, use a Creation... or an Ally *shrug*
Phantom is just a headache, as evidenced by the mental gymnastics needed to make sense of it. I do think that DJ's interpretation is reasonable, if you were to allow the spell... making it a not unplayable improvement on Perfect Illusion, while keeping the aspects that define it as Illusion rather than Creation.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illusion, magic, phantom