Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 04-20-2005, 03:46 AM   #1
Glamourweaver

Default Divine/Ethereal Politics on the Indian Subcontinent

Ok, I finally thought of a way to directly phrase my curiosity regarding the political dynamic between the Host & the Trimurti.

Not considering Hell's relative strength or weakness for a moment...

1. Are Angels as overwhelming dominant over Ethereals on the Indian Subcontinent as elsewhere? The Hindu Gods weren't touched by Uriel's Crusade I know, but they might just stay out of the way entirely. Their intervention is a very unique event, usually carried out by a semi-rogue member of the Pantheon & is as opposed by Angels of Dreams, Judgment, & the Sword as anywhere else.

2. Are Angels as active in the Sub-continent as anywhere else, but have a semi-cooperative relationship with the Trimurti. Angels of the Sword & Judgment just stay away because they can't handle dealing with Ethereals which is a necessity in India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, etc. The Hindu Gods cooperate with Heaven against Demons preying upon "their people", & otherwise the Host & the Trimurti just try to stay out of each others way; the Hindu Gods only opposing the Angels if they think the Host are trying to undermine Hinduism in favor of Western/Middle-Eastern Monotheism.

If this is the case, how do you think Angels of Dreams (who can't just avoid the area in favor of short emergency operations like Dominicans & Laurencians) handle these Ethereals intervening on the Corporeal Plane?

3. Or do the Hindu Gods run the show on the Subcontinent? Angels are few & far between and must cooperate & show deference to the Trimurti if they want to accomplish anything in this "Ethereal Territory". Heaven only stomachs this arrangement because the Trimurti have been as generally effective at opposing Diabolicals here as the Host has elsewhere in the world.

Which of these three do you see being the case? Or is there another possibility I'm ignoring?
Glamourweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:51 AM   #2
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: Divine/Ethereal Politics on the Indian Subcontinent

(If you're looking for canon... there is none right now. Handwave, handwave. Maybe someday I will get a Pantheon Writeup that will go into this.)
Old 04-20-2005, 06:58 AM   #3
Glamourweaver

I know there's no canon on this, I'm just looking for people's thoughts on the subject.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:48 AM   #4
RadLilim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamourweaver
3. Or do the Hindu Gods run the show on the Subcontinent? Angels are few & far between and must cooperate & show deference to the Trimurti if they want to accomplish anything in this "Ethereal Territory". Heaven only stomachs this arrangement because the Trimurti have been as generally effective at opposing Diabolicals here as the Host has elsewhere in the world.
I would go with #3. I have problems believeing that the Host would be happy with working with the Hindu Gods in option 1 or 2. I'm not sure how the Trimurti would be powerful enough to keep Heaven out of their territory though. They would have to have some very strong and powerful tethers, I would think.

One more idea is that someone with a lot of political sway (my vote would be for Yves) has just continued to stear the interest of the Host away from the area. Mostly because he sees them as allies and that they can hold that area, allowing the Host to concentrate on the rest of the world. Every little bit helps. This is probably the senarior I'd go with, I think.

Wanna buy one? - Radueriel, Free Lilim
RadLilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
tylrlsaa

I'd go with option three. The Hindu Pantheon runs the show. They've got the home field advantage, so to speak. I expect some of the more laid-back (Eli, Janus) or realistic (Michael, Marc) AAs have dealings with the Hindu Pantheon. They likely would try not to broadcast this, however.

The DPs might actually have an easier time in India. Sure, you know they're evil, but that could just be Heavenly propaganda. Heaven did have a crusade that tried to destroy all Ethereals. Hell has never tried to do that. And Media is such an easy way to get the attention/worship needed to survive...
tylrlsaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:12 PM   #6
zogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylrlsaa
The DPs might actually have an easier time in India. Sure, you know they're evil, but that could just be Heavenly propaganda. Heaven did have a crusade that tried to destroy all Ethereals. Hell has never tried to do that. And Media is such an easy way to get the attention/worship needed to survive...
Indian Gods have no trouble getting worshipped. And most of them are famous as slayers of demons. I mean most of those demons are *probably* really malevolent ethereals, but there may be some Truth to the legends.

Which come to think of it could explain why Uriel dragged his feet. "But, they kill demons..."
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:13 PM   #7
Glamourweaver

Oh one thing we definetly know for sure (and I believe that canon confirms this) is that the Hindu Gods are blood enemies of Hell. Hindu mythology is full of conflicts between the Gods & demons trying to corrupt or kill the faithful and/or innocent.

Edit: "Michael regarded Vishnu and his kind as stalwart allies when it came to fighting demons." -Game Master Guide p.84

Technically this refers to before the Crusade of course, but considering a) the Crusade never got as far as India (though considering Uriel did hit Australia & South America, it would seem the "didn't have time" excuse is a bit weak), b) the other Ethereals Deities believe the Trimurti to be in "cohouts" with the Host according to the EPG, & c) its in the nature of Vishnu to fight the forces of corruption & darkness, I truly doubt this would have changed.

Last edited by Glamourweaver; 04-21-2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:20 PM   #8
Glamourweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogo
Indian Gods have no trouble getting worshipped. And most of them are famous as slayers of demons. I mean most of those demons are *probably* really malevolent ethereals, but there may be some Truth to the legends.

Which come to think of it could explain why Uriel dragged his feet. "But, they kill demons..."
Agreed. On top of that, I imagine that the subcontinent's malevalent Ethereal "demons" (Rakshasa, Daitya, Dannava, Asura, etc.) are very much under the banner of Beleth at this point. Having to deal with the quadruple pressures of their ethereal Deva enemies, Angels of Dreams pushing them further away from the Vale, Tsayadim slaughtering them in the Deep Marches, & Angels of the Sword opposing any & all Corporeal Manifestation on their part... I think they would have fled to the only "friendly ally" they could find... poor bastards... though it does fit, they are "nightmares" after all ( as a side note: many of them in mythology have the power to command nightmares).
Old 04-22-2005, 07:39 AM   #9
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamourweaver
Technically this refers to before the Crusade of course, but considering a) the Crusade never got as far as India (though considering Uriel did hit Australia & South America, it would seem the "didn't have time" excuse is a bit weak),
Do remember that the Marches' geography (marchography? etherography?) is not necessarily linked to distance in the corporeal world. It's entirely possible that Uriel hit what was closest to the Vale. Or that he hit the small fry first. Or some combination of the above.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:16 AM   #10
Methariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth
It's entirely possible that Uriel hit what was closest to the Vale. Or that he hit the small fry first. Or some combination of the above.
That would make sense...
As you perhaps deducted, I am a friend of the "celestials stronger than etherals"-idea - generally. But even I have to state that there are some ethereals who are quite strong or almost Superior-level. (The Kraken, for example. And those Hindu deities...)
So Uriels decision not to attack the Hindu pantheon was based on strategical/tactical (which is the correct word here?) motives:
First, he saw that they were strong. Second, he realized that they held demons in check quite well. So maybe they had lesser priority.
If he wiped out all other pantheons first, he could have concentrated his efforts totally on the Hindu pantheon and wouldn't have had to worry about any ethereal allies they might throw into battle against him and his forces.
So while he had the other pantheons attacked and slaughtered, the Trimurti would've done some useful things (i.e., keeping demons at bay) until he had finished the other etherals off and could turn to this last pantheon with nobody in his back but his loyal armies .
But luckily, there was this Intervention-incident which called Uriel back...

I hope I wrote something useful,

Methariel

Tags
setting