Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
khorboth

Default Partial parry

I'm curious how to model a cinematic thing I've seen a number of times: using a sword to deflect the brunt of a magical attack or a large projectile, reducing the damage to a manageable level.

This came to mind as I was re-watching Avatar: The Last Airbender. We frequently see someone attacked by a power (earthbending attack throwing a rock, most commonly) and parrying with a sword. The sword deflects the brunt of the damage, but the target is still hurt some.

Am I missing a rule that would cover this? Parrying seems to be pretty binary in GURPS. I've considered a houserule based on Power Parries from Supers, but can't come up with anything satisfactory.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:15 PM   #2
talonthehand

Default Re: Partial parry

Maybe a DR power triggered by a parry roll instead of automatic/skill roll?
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
mlangsdorf

My completely unplaytested suggestion would be something like this:

Deflecting Defense: This is an option for any Active Defense. You accept you are going to get hit, but interpose your weapon or maneuver your body to limit the damage. You get a +2 on your Active Defense, but even on success, you are still hit and take 1/2 normal damage. If you fail the Defense, you take the hit normally and if you attempted a Parry or Block, the attacker may choose to hit your weapon or shield hand instead of where they targeted the attack.
Shield Brace: This is an option for Blocking with a shield against a slam. You accept you are going to get hit, but set your shield to ensure it takes the slam instead of you. You get a +4 on your Block, but even on a success, your shield is hit by the slam for full damage. You may not combine a Shield Brace with a Deflecting Defense.

I think they're reasonably balanced: you get a minor bonus, but you're guaranteed to take the hit for at least some damage. If you're in a bad situation, or are well-armored compared to your foe's attacks, they can be lifesavers.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
Deflecting Defense: This is an option for any Active Defense. You accept you are going to get hit, but interpose your weapon or maneuver your body to limit the damage. You get a +2 on your Active Defense, but even on success, you are still hit and take 1/2 normal damage. If you fail the Defense, you take the hit normally and if you attempted a Parry or Block, the attacker may choose to hit your weapon or shield hand instead of where they targeted the attack.
Shield Brace: This is an option for Blocking with a shield against a slam. You accept you are going to get hit, but set your shield to ensure it takes the slam instead of you. You get a +4 on your Block, but even on a success, your shield is hit by the slam for full damage. You may not combine a Shield Brace with a Deflecting Defense.
I like these! I think they work pretty well. One thing I might suggest is that on a critical success on the defense, damage is instead quartered instead of halved.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #5
Edges

I've used a "graze" rule before. If someone just barely hits (i.e. has a MoS of 0 on the hit roll) or if a defender just barely defends (i.e. has a MoS of 0 on a defense roll), minimum damage is sustained.

I haven't used the rule in a while because I have wanted to keep things simpler lately. But when I was using it, the rules didn't break (though I had to make some calls on the fly for cases of fixed damage).
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

You can allow mundane attacks to power parry certain powers as part of mundane countermeasures.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:56 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
I've considered a houserule based on Power Parries from Supers, but can't come up with anything satisfactory.
That's exactly what it is, a Power Parry.

In this case it's something that requires the user have a Power, in this case Striker or Innate Attack bought as a sword.

However, you could also use the cinematic skill Parry Missile Weapons to cover this.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:59 PM   #8
khorboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
My completely unplaytested suggestion would be something like this:

I think they're reasonably balanced: you get a minor bonus, but you're guaranteed to take the hit for at least some damage. If you're in a bad situation, or are well-armored compared to your foe's attacks, they can be lifesavers.
It looks pretty balanced, but doesn't quite fit. low-powered or low-damage attacks are completely negated by the parry. Having some damage break through is a sign that the enemy is powerful.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:01 PM   #9
khorboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You can allow mundane attacks to power parry certain powers as part of mundane countermeasures.
Do you have a page or book reference on that? I have access to lots of books, but don't have a good mental index for where to find what yet.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:02 PM   #10
khorboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonthehand View Post
Maybe a DR power triggered by a parry roll instead of automatic/skill roll?
Perhaps. I was not thinking this would be something that should cost extra, but chi-powered DR with a roll required and perhaps a FP could be quite affordable.

Tags
active defense, parry