Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2016, 05:14 AM   #1
ismenis
 
ismenis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default [Technical Grappling] Cloak and Defensive Grip

Hi everyone.

In Technical Grappling's description of Armed Grapple, it states that when using a cloak to grapple, it needs to be grasped in two hands and has reach C.

While the description for flexible weapons explain that using a flexible weapon as a grappling aid grant the user a +1 per die to CP.

Some questions about using a cloak for these two purposes:

1) Does grabbing the cloak with two hands for grappling require a grip change (or a Grip Mastery (Cloak) perk to do it as a free action at the start of each turn)(I assume "yes")?

2) If a character is attacked while holding a cloak in two hands in anticipation for an armed grapple, can he still block with the cloak? Would it still offer its DB? If not, can he use his arms to defend at all?

3) If he is attacked while holding it in a defensive grip in order to use it as a grappling aid, would he:
3.1) only be able to use the defensive grip's +1 to defend as a bonus to his unarmed parry, since by RAW a cloak does not "parry"?
3.2) add the +1 to the cloak's block, along with the usual DB? Or,
3.3) add the +1 to the cloak's block, but lose any DB?

Thank you all in advance!
ismenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:52 AM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics
 
DouglasCole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burnsville, MN
Default Re: [Technical Grappling] Cloak and Defensive Grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismenis View Post
Hi everyone.

In Technical Grappling's description of Armed Grapple, it states that when using a cloak to grapple, it needs to be grasped in two hands and has reach C.

While the description for flexible weapons explain that using a flexible weapon as a grappling aid grant the user a +1 per die to CP.

Some questions about using a cloak for these two purposes:

1) Does grabbing the cloak with two hands for grappling require a grip change (or a Grip Mastery (Cloak) perk to do it as a free action at the start of each turn)(I assume "yes")?
That seems right to me - yes.

Quote:
2) If a character is attacked while holding a cloak in two hands in anticipation for an armed grapple, can he still block with the cloak? Would it still offer its DB? If not, can he use his arms to defend at all?
Of the top of my head, and without looking it up, this feels like a cross parry to me.

Quote:
3) If he is attacked while holding it in a defensive grip in order to use it as a grappling aid, would he:
3.1) only be able to use the defensive grip's +1 to defend as a bonus to his unarmed parry, since by RAW a cloak does not "parry"?
3.2) add the +1 to the cloak's block, along with the usual DB? Or,
3.3) add the +1 to the cloak's block, but lose any DB?
I'd just treat this as 3+Cloak/2 (basic cloak block or parry) +2 (for cross parry). Since you probably can't defend against arrows with this, I'd classify it as a parry.
__________________
Gaming Ballistic, LLC
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:52 AM   #3
ismenis
 
ismenis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Re: [Technical Grappling] Cloak and Defensive Grip

Thanks, Douglas!

I tried looking up clarifications in the books but couldn't find any.

So if I understand correctly, your recommendation is combining both two-handed grips into the same thing, where your only defence is either a cross-parry using cloak skill, or dodge?

While the same two-handed grip allows the character to attempt both an armed grapple using cloak skill-2 (with the benefit of not having to worry about a weapon parry hurting you), or a grapple with an unarmed skill with the cloak as a grappling aid (which does bear the risk of being injured by a successful parry)?
ismenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:55 AM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics
 
DouglasCole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burnsville, MN
Default Re: [Technical Grappling] Cloak and Defensive Grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismenis View Post
Thanks, Douglas!

I tried looking up clarifications in the books but couldn't find any.

So if I understand correctly, your recommendation is combining both two-handed grips into the same thing, where your only defence is either a cross-parry using cloak skill, or dodge?

While the same two-handed grip allows the character to attempt both an armed grapple using cloak skill-2 (with the benefit of not having to worry about a weapon parry hurting you), or a grapple with an unarmed skill with the cloak as a grappling aid (which does bear the risk of being injured by a successful parry)?
Yeah.

I've actually trained with a sash, rather than a cloak, and all of the above is pretty legit. You should probably treat the parry of a sword or other edged weapon as potentially cutting the cloak, but otherwise the attacks are right on.

The various combos aren't in the books for the simple reason that they didn't occur to me or the playtesters at the time. Cloak is a pretty marginal weapon/defense, so it didn't get a lot of airplay.
__________________
Gaming Ballistic, LLC
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
technical grappling

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.