Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-06-2016, 06:56 AM   #1
Jose

Default Magic and cosmetics

So with my mage going on the offensive I notice a couple of things.

Missile attacks for mages are all elementaly themed, we have a fireball, lightning, ice spikes and rocks flinged at your adversary.
The spells are fine and quite workable for mages of any elemental persuasion but what I notice is a lack of generic arcane bolts of energy ala the classic magic missile from dnd.
However for my caster who I have as more night and darkness themed mage.
Id like too see if there is a way to make some darkness projectile.

Now what Im going to ask is:
Is there a way to cast illusion over your projectile as to make some Darkness effect stacking exactly with the projectile in order to make some darkness attack.
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CastingAShadow?from=Main.DarkIsEdgy
WARNING TVTROPES LINK: INFINITE TIME SINK.
Kinda like this type stuff.
Im using magic as skills.
Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Magic and cosmetics

"Darkness" isn't a thing, but an absence of a thing, which is probably why there aren't any missile weapons using it. But that's no obstacle to magic. Just rename one of the existing spells and describe the special effects however you like. Merely cosmetic changes are free.

It's also pretty easy to make up new Missile spells that are compatible with the existing ones just by comparison. They do 1d per point of energy, plus or minus one for other effects (-1 for impaling, +1 for crushing, etc). Just make up a spell called "Darkbolt" and say it's 1d / EP. Deduct a point per die if you want a better wounding modifier or some other extra effect. Changing prereqs to the Light / Darkness college is also straightforward; just keep about the same number of depth of chaining.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #3
Jose

So there isnt a way to stack spells or anything?
Or a I totally dead in the water here?
Old 01-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
robkelk
Untitled

Do you want your character to cast two spells at the same time, or do you want your character to cast one spell that looks like a different spell? Those are two different things.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Do you want your character to cast two spells at the same time, or do you want your character to cast one spell that looks like a different spell? Those are two different things.
Both are actually fine.
What Im considering right now is using Illusion shell on top of whatever projectile spell I ready, if its possible somehow.
There is no real clue as to how long it takes to cast it. The depiction on the same page of Nicholas Cage seems to make it looks like something thats just conjured up. I might have missed something there.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #6
Gnomasz

Stacking spells this way is rather unwieldy, the way I see RAW:
  • you need Missile Spell Mastery perk (from Magical Styles
  • cast the missile spell
  • cast Delay with the missile as "trap item" and Illusion Shell as the delayed spell

I think creating a new spell would be far easier.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #7
Anaraxes

See Hang Spell and Delay (and the other "Linking Spells" in the Metamagic college) for ways to get multiple spells to fire together.

Do you intend to change the appearance of the spell every time it's cast? Perhaps as a deception, to make enemies take the wrong countermeasures? The OP made me think you were just looking for a Missile spell that fits a theme of darkness / night.

If I were making up a "Chameleon Bolt", I'd probably put it in the Illusion College, make it 1d-1 per EP, and simply put in the description that the caster can choose the appearance of any other Missile spell when it's cast.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #8
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
So there isnt a way to stack spells or anything?
Or a I totally dead in the water here?
Yes they're called Metamagic college. Which includes "Throw Spell" which will turn a Regular spell into a missile spell.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #9
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Start with Sunbolt (GURPS Magic, p. 114). Change the damage type from tight-beam burning (like a laser) to burning without any incendiary effect (it "freezer burns" tissue but won't set fires). To compensate for the loss of the ability to set fires (which most burning attacks can), cause blindness, and target the eyes and vitals for extra injury (as tight-beam burning can), raise damage to 1d per energy point and remove the 50% bonus to enemy DB for polished shields. Ignore all the talk about mirrors; that just about never matters. Change the prerequisites to "At least six other Light and Darkness spells, including Shape Darkness." Call the resulting spell Darkbolt.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
So with my mage going on the offensive I notice a couple of things.

Missile attacks for mages are all elementaly themed, we have a fireball, lightning, ice spikes and rocks flinged at your adversary.
The spells are fine and quite workable for mages of any elemental persuasion but what I notice is a lack of generic arcane bolts of energy ala the classic magic missile from dnd.
However for my caster who I have as more night and darkness themed mage.
Id like too see if there is a way to make some darkness projectile.

Now what Im going to ask is:
Is there a way to cast illusion over your projectile as to make some Darkness effect stacking exactly with the projectile in order to make some darkness attack.
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CastingAShadow?from=Main.DarkIsEdgy
WARNING TVTROPES LINK: INFINITE TIME SINK.
Kinda like this type stuff.
Im using magic as skills.
There's no need to. Invent a "Solid Darkness" spell. Then use that as a pre-requisite to invent, say a "Cutting Darkness" spell.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic