Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: Magic and Techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randover View Post
The big deal is the maintaining factor. Not the one time cost of the spell. Imagion that mage with such technique can possible maintain Armour spell on multiple targets for long periods of time giving them raising there DR by 1 to 5.
There is a difference between reducing the casting and maintainence cost and powering it with another source.
Indefinate maintanence for one example.

Edit: Looks like I quoted the wrong reply.

Last edited by Refplace; 06-14-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
Not another shrubbery

You should get some useful ideas from Thaumatology, such as from the Adjustable Spells section on p39.

An idea that just came to me: Trade off actual skill level for “cost to cast” level. Frex, your actual SL with Fireball is 16, so by rolling against 12 (taking -4 to skill), you can treat the “cost to cast” SL as 20, letting you cast 2d Fireballs for free. That would make mages a little more flexible, but doesn’t seem like it would be unbalancing *crosses fingers* : )
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #13
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
You should get some useful ideas from Thaumatology, such as from the Adjustable Spells section on p39.

An idea that just came to me: Trade off actual skill level for “cost to cast” level. Frex, your actual SL with Fireball is 16, so by rolling against 12 (taking -4 to skill), you can treat the “cost to cast” SL as 20, letting you cast 2d Fireballs for free. That would make mages a little more flexible, but doesn’t seem like it would be unbalancing *crosses fingers* : )
I think you just reinvented a textbox from Magic.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
Fionn The Otaku

Mostly unrelated to the initial question, but i'd say that most plant spells should have a technique that allows the spells to work on Fungi.
For example Create Fungi
Difficulty: Hard.
Default: Create Plant -2 or -3.
Prerequisite: Create Plant. Cannot exceed Create Plant skill +3
There could also be an option for techniques that default to Create Earth and Earth to Stone that allow for the creation of various specific kinds of Earth or Stone (or at least the creation of Metamorphic rock rather than sedimentary).
Fionn The Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
Jerron

First, it seems at lower levels you're going to cost more than actually buying the spell up, so I'll presume you do that at least to 2 points.

Second, How about the limitation on magery 'one spell only'? you raise magery, you raise skill level, that includes cost reduction and ritual, as well as casting skill. At -80% for single spell magery it comes to 2 points only, and perhaps the GM could make a ruling that if the skill level doesn't count, you can surpass the normal campaign limit. Maybe even bump it down to 1 point instead of 2, and not count things like energy limits and such. (You know, where you can put as much FP into a spell as you have magery? There's a rule somewhere that says you can use the limit in the spell description, which is usually 3 just like standard magery limits, or your magery, whichever is higher.)
Jerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #16
Randover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerron View Post
First, it seems at lower levels you're going to cost more than actually buying the spell up, so I'll presume you do that at least to 2 points.

Second, How about the limitation on magery 'one spell only'? you raise magery, you raise skill level, that includes cost reduction and ritual, as well as casting skill. At -80% for single spell magery it comes to 2 points only, and perhaps the GM could make a ruling that if the skill level doesn't count, you can surpass the normal campaign limit. Maybe even bump it down to 1 point instead of 2, and not count things like energy limits and such. (You know, where you can put as much FP into a spell as you have magery? There's a rule somewhere that says you can use the limit in the spell description, which is usually 3 just like standard magery limits, or your magery, whichever is higher.)
Yes I am currently playing such mage. And it creates many issues. For example castig Armor is useable tactics even for realy big group because with skill 25 he could easily maintain up to 10 Armor spell running. All other spell long unavaible because of -10 penalty. I guess that why I would like to have technique that will return his skill to 20, with few other spells at 17-18 and the rest at 15.
Randover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #17
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
I think you just reinvented a textbox from Magic.
Really? It does sound familiar, as you mention it… but I must be overlooking it. Pageref?
Old 06-20-2009, 12:52 PM   #18
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Really? It does sound familiar, as you mention it… but I must be overlooking it. Pageref?
Apparenly I was mistaken. I can find almost any possible combination of trading A for B on spells, but none of them reduce FP cost. :(
Old 06-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #19
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Apparenly I was mistaken. I can find almost any possible combination of trading A for B on spells, but none of them reduce FP cost.
It still has a ring of familiarity… maybe I remembered it from a post around here *shrug*

BTW, I just noticed your new sig… Looks like you’ve hit the big time :)

Tags
magic, techniques