Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #11
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy World for Infinite Worlds Setting

The problem with Madland is that the gods are dark caricatures of the characters from Winnie the Pooh, so it is hard to take it seriously as a setting.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:18 PM   #12
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The problem with Madland is that the gods are dark caricatures of the characters from Winnie the Pooh, so it is hard to take it seriously as a setting.
Eh. That's not particularly obvious from the writeups, so if your players don't know already and you don't tell them, it's unlikely to be an issue in my opinion. And you can pretty easily change the gods up anyway.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:19 PM   #13
warellis

Would Duzakh from Infinite Worlds - Worlds of Horror be another possible good source for Dungeon Fantasy-esque stuff?

It has vampirized Etruscans who dominate their Rome & have vampirized Greek allies like the Spartans, who are threatening the Persian Empire. And it has a normal mana level.

Last edited by warellis; 11-23-2017 at 05:28 PM.
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:48 PM   #14
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
Would Duzakh from Infinite Worlds - Worlds of Horror be another possible good source for Dungeon Fantasy-esque stuff?
By my standards it would, for sure! Like Nergal (not really surprising, since as I recall they were both originally from the same Suppressed Transmission article), it's got a fair dose of horror mixed in, but that sort of thing has always been part of the Dungeon Fantasy style, I'd say, so that still works.

None of the other Worlds of Horror are that suited to DF, though you could probably do something with Tsarevich if it was a couple centuries earlier. Maybe postulate a "Tsarevich-2" that's actually set in 1300 or 1400, with gothic monsters coming out of Eastern Europe.

Looking over Lost Worlds, I'd say that the following could make good DF locations:

Vanaheim: It has the TL and the magic. It might actually be a little too weird and wacky for the typical DF party, but if your players are interested in a little higher-powered game, it might do for a setting. And, like all the Nine Worlds timelines, it's a good excuse for "Dungeon Fantasy meets WWII weapons" fights.

Alfheim: This world is probably even more suited for "standard" Dungeon Fantasy than Vanaheim. Given its situation, it's probably best played as a war movie via DF. Dust off your copies of The Devil's Brigade and The Dirty Dozen for just as much inspiration as your Gygax, Moorcock, or Tolkien.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #15
warellis

Wouldn't Gothic-2 be okay for Dungeon Fantasy stuff? It's TL4 I believe, and has enough weird freaky things with the Frankenstein Treatment & stuff like homunculi I imagine.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:00 PM   #16
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
Wouldn't Gothic-2 be okay for Dungeon Fantasy stuff? It's TL4 I believe, and has enough weird freaky things with the Frankenstein Treatment & stuff like homunculi I imagine.
It's TL 5, not 4, and the main conflicts in it seem to be a bit more cerebral, or at least involve more sneaking and subterfuge, than the typical DF game seems to involve.

But whatever you can make work, works!
Old 11-24-2017, 01:30 AM   #17
scc

Why only one world but? Given that DF has higher and lower planes you're most likely looking at a skerry, and multiple material planes with lots of interconnects thanks to something like the Chronobahn could lead to several worlds with a single extensive trade network stretching across them, one that is very fragile. The consequences of these could lead to empires rising and falling all the time, perfect for DF.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:47 AM   #18
JoelSammallahti

How about a straight-up world-hopping DF campaign? The player characters are Cabal subcontractors hitching rides on Cabal missions in return for 20% of mundane and 50% of all magical treasure recovered. Occasionally they're hired for special scouting/retrieval/assassination missions.
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:19 AM   #19
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Why only one world but? Given that DF has higher and lower planes you're most likely looking at a skerry, and multiple material planes with lots of interconnects thanks to something like the Chronobahn could lead to several worlds with a single extensive trade network stretching across them, one that is very fragile. The consequences of these could lead to empires rising and falling all the time, perfect for DF.
Isn't that more a pocket multiverse than a skerry though?
Old 11-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #20
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Yrth has real world religions. I think it's that using them in a not even semi-realistic or serious manner is a minefield of potential offense causing.
I was actually thinking of an Yrth without any real world religion, only DF-style religions and pantheons.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, infinite worlds