Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #71
Alden Loveshade

Default Re: The "Size Discount for ST -- Why?" Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Being larger tends to necessitate having higher ST to compensate for the increased equipment weight. In fact, armour weights are rather unforgiving. Also, being large = being easier to get hit = needing more HP to compensate. IMHO SM is still a net drawback at its current cost, and cheaper ST is a benefit that is rather situational/campaign-specific.
I think the "being large = being easier to get hit = needing more HP to compensate" and the fact you need more ST at a bigger SM just to stand up (with or without equipment) are the primary reasons.

I agree the value of ST is situational/campaign-specific; many of the players in my TL10 150-point-PC games purchased lower-than-average ST to get extra points; I don't think any PC in the TL8 Supers campaign has ST below 10.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #72
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Note I made this before I noticed the oddity of high levels of Payload vs ST (that is, you can reach a point where it costs less to increase ST to boost your existing levels of Payload instead of buying more Payload), so the numbers need some adjustment to account for this.
Alright, I redid things based on this fact for SM +0 through +6. In this case, I calculated the price for getting the minimum level of Payload ST (Lifting ST with Only For Payload -80%, putting it at [0.6]/level) and Payload to make an ST 10 character be at 2xBL (which I assume as a typical loadout) with SM-appropriate gear, and added in the price of the appropriate wealth level to offset the price increase. The result ends up being pretty darn close to linear - multiply SM by -17.5 to determine cost. If you want to maintain GURPS' pentaphilia, [-15] and [-20] work more-or-less equally well, although switching things up a bit - [-15] for the SM+1, [-35] for SM+2, [-50] for SM+3, etc - gets you closer to the "true" value. Not certain how well this works at higher SM's (didn't calculate for Wealth beyond Filthy Rich), but it's probably close enough.

This isn't going to be as true for characters with low SM. Those seem to follow something polynomial, as you are essentially getting free Payload and can get away with a lower Wealth level, but Wealth follows a more complicated trend. Honestly, just a simple table works better there - in no small part because once you hit SM -6, price doesn't really change. Here's a table for SM -6 through SM +6. Characters smaller than SM -6 just use the same cost as SM -6.
Code:
SM	Cost
-6	[35]
-5	[33]
-4	[28]
-3	[25]
-2	[20]
-1	[15]
+0	[0]
+1	[-17]
+2	[-35]
+3	[-52]
+4	[-70]
+5	[-87]
+6	[-105]
A more pentaphilic table would look like this:
Code:
SM	Cost
-6	[35]
-5	[35]
-4	[30]
-3	[25]
-2	[20]
-1	[15]
+0	[0]
+1	[-15]
+2	[-35]
+3	[-50]
+4	[-70]
+5	[-85]
+6	[-105]
Remember, if adjusting WM based on SM, positive SM is a further [25] per +1, negative SM is a further [-25] per -1, which causes positive SM to be a net Advantage, negative SM to be a net Disadvantage.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:32 PM   #73
AlexanderHowl

I generally think that smaller creatures should pay more for ST, adding a positive modifiers equal to +10% per -1 SM. Of course, that makes lower ST/HP more valuable, but I think that low ST/HP characters are not properly compensated for their problems.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discount, size, size modifier, strength