Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
Gwyn

Default Ally

In the Marvel Munchkin some of ally card has a special abilities "You may have an additional ally" I have two question.

1. I play the ally card Nick Fury (which has this special abilities) then I play Captain America (which also has this special abilities) to play another ally giving me a total of 3 ally or would I only be able to have 2 ally total?

2. When battling a monster would all my ally card bonus stack or is it like a cheat card that I can have extra ally in play, but i'm only allow to use one ally in battle?
Gwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Ally

1. Three total. Nick Fury is Captain America's extra Ally, but Nick Fury's extra Ally slot is not yet filled.

2. All the Ally bonuses stack, no matter how you get your extra Allies. If you use Cheat to get an extra Ally, you may use the bonuses from both Allies in combat. If the rules don't say that, that's an error.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
Gwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post

2. All the Ally bonuses stack, no matter how you get your extra Allies. If you use Cheat to get an extra Ally, you may use the bonuses from both Allies in combat. If the rules don't say that, that's an error.
Thanks for the input, I know you can't use cheat card on an ally card since it not a item card. The rule manual never gave a example of ally. "... unless you have a card that lets you ignore these limits, such as an ally or cheat!, or unless a card says otherwise. If you are carrying two headgear cards, for example, you can equip only one of them at a time."

So I was not sure if this also applies to ally too. Since "you may have one Ally accompany your character."
Gwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyn View Post
Thanks for the input, I know you can't use cheat card on an ally card since it not a item card. The rule manual never gave a example of ally. "... unless you have a card that lets you ignore these limits, such as an ally or cheat!, or unless a card says otherwise. If you are carrying two headgear cards, for example, you can equip only one of them at a time."

So I was not sure if this also applies to ally too. Since "you may have one Ally accompany your character."
Ah, sorry -- I'm thinking about other sets that have Allies that explicitly do include that rule. If Marvel Edition doesn't include that rule, obviously it's not in play.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
Serg

Quote:
Ah, sorry -- I'm thinking about other sets that have Allies that explicitly do include that rule. If Marvel Edition doesn't include that rule, obviously it's not in play.
Hello, first post in the forums and I found myself here cuz I wanted some clarification on an ally ability I figured I can piggy back on this post for an answer.

When you want to play an ally with the ability to play a second ally do you first have to discard the ally already in play to then play said ally with ability or can you just play the ally card with said ability without having to discard the original ally already in play beforehand?

Say I have hulk on the field and I want to play nova which allows you to have another ally do I have to get rid of hulk first to make way for nova to then activate the ability or can I just play nova and still keep hulk as he would be an extra ally already in play?

Sorry if this is confusing. 😖
Serg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

You don't have to discard the first Ally to play an extra Ally - the rule is meant to let you have two Allies at once.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
Serg

Quote:
You don't have to discard the first Ally to play an extra Ally - the rule is meant to let you have two Allies at once.
Thank you for the clarification! Much appreciated.
Serg is offline   Reply With Quote