Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-02-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Madness Dossier: Why Tibet?

In GURPS Horror: The Madness Dossier, Tibetans are closely identified with Project Sandman. I can't find any particular reason for this. Is this just a gesture in the direction of exoticism, or is there something about Tibet in post-Lovecraftian horror and/or lunatic fringe conspiracy theories which I'm missing but in context makes Tibet make perfect sense as the source of warriors against mind-controlling alternate history villains?

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Madness Dossier: Why Tibet?

Weren't the nazis rather interested in Tibet? That's the only angle I can imagine, but I'm not sure how strong an angle it actually is.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #3
Refplace

Well there in close proximity to Summaria and isolated. That and Gnostism.

So good place for people who fled as refugees and started a hidden lore tradition.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:00 PM   #4
Minuteman37

Ancient mystical Kung Fu mumbojumbo?
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:21 PM   #5
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Well there in close proximity to Summaria and isolated. That and Gnostism.

So good place for people who fled as refugees and started a hidden lore tradition.
It's Sumer in the book, so not that close to Tibet. But considering there was no Sumer, or anything we know before 535, the point is moot.

Tibet is home to the most advanced magicians/martial artists/Old Masters - whatever you call the magical guys in this setting. Maybe in Timeline B Tibet was the origin of the resistance? Its traditionally all full of mysterious magical stuff.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:45 AM   #6
Phil Masters

Combine the mystical martial arts masters with a thing about meditative reconstruction of the self with a bunch of shadowy CIA deniable ops in the last century, and Tibet is a bit of a natural focus for Madness Dossier stories.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #7
fchase8

Could it be the isolation of Tibet? Isn't that a big deal when it comes to language, which is highly influential in The Madness Dossier?

Isn't one of the languages listed in it some super-isolated New Guinea language, that is useful because it is the least influenced by the madness/evil?

And/or it could be that it's an ancient culture that has survived to the present day. Though wouldn't that mean that it is more influenced by the madness/evil of Reality B?

It could also be that it's just a nice isolated spot to train people and the like.
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Because it's cool; isolated in the forboding Himalayas, mystical land full of cryptids and ancient wisdom, surviving numerous violent conquests by barbarians.
I'm nowhere near as learned or well read as many here, but if I had to grab a real location to center loads of inhuman knowledge and weirdness on, Tibet would be first on my list.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #9
dcarson

When I was planning a pulp Stargate campaign I wanted to give them players a low threat introduction to the Goa'uld. I realized that Tibet was the place that finding a leftover one made sense. Ruled by temples that are headed by semi-divine reincarnations, lots of gold and silver decorations, isolated enough that in 1929 there are only rumors for much of it. Went wonderfully.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madness dossier