Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-28-2023, 09:57 AM   #21
Anthony

Default Re: [Basic/High-Tech] Vehicles and fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Effects of terrain on ground vehicles are conveniently found in the Basic Set chapter on vehicles, page 406.
I believe you mean 466. Those numbers... are kinda weird, and are also talking about top speed, not range.
Old 08-29-2023, 01:50 AM   #22
hal

For what it is worth...

I took the rules from GURPS VEHICLES, GURPS WORLD WAR II, and the expansion (GURPS VEHICLE BUILDER software had it baked in) - all in an effort to GURPSIFY some of the Vehicles from CYBERPUNK 2077. I used the Biofuel option for determining range of vehicle and all that fun stuff.

I was content with the end results, largely because it brought down the excessively HIGH speeds (determined by Horsepower of engine) down to more "real world" realistic (in my opinion).

I treated the CHOO2 as biofuel alternative.

At some point in time, I probably SHOULD compare/contrast the vehicles designed that way (GVB) - and a translation to 4e format via the pyramid article I picked up (but haven't really utilized). Seems like in theory, it SHOULD work - but I've yet to try it.

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 06:21 AM   #23
whswhs

The Basic Set does address this topic, in a way. If you consult the Increased Consumption disadvantage, on p. B139, it says that each level of the disadvantage doubles the food or fuel consumption, or halves the endurance. One level gives an endurance of four hours. So a typical vehicle, without Increased Consumption, has fuel capacity for eight hours. (You can also apply levels of Reduced Consumption, p. B80, to get tankage for half a day, a full day, seven days, or thirty days. Or, beyond that, Doesn't Eat or Drink, p. B50.)

If you just want to do gamable approximation, you can set some volume, weight, and cost of fuel for an SM 0 vehicle, such as a TL7 heavy bike (which might be given Increased Consumption 1), and then adjust that for levels of increased or reduced consumption, for increased SM, and for requirements for higher grades of fuel.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 10:00 AM   #24
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I believe you mean 466. Those numbers... are kinda weird, and are also talking about top speed, not range.
They work out okay, though they're not the exact numbers I'd have used. But they do deal with range, because endurance is fixed, so the slower a vehicle goes, the less range it has.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, vehicles