Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #31
Voidstar

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Used to drive past it everyday during work...
Old 05-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #32
William

I put this in a similar thread over in the In Nomine forum, but thought it might also be useful here:

Submerged church reappears

The ruins of a medieval stone church, submerged in the 1960s with the filling of the Sau reservoir near Barcelona, reappear in the fall of 2007 when drought causes the reservoir to dry up. I suspect a fair number of people can come up with something interesting to do with some medieval ruins that reappear after forty years flooded, mm?
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #33
Anaraxes

"Carolina bays" are a collection of around 500,000 elliptical depressions all along the Atlantic seaboard of the southern US, apparently around 30,000 - 100,000 years old. The axes of the ellipses rotate as you move up the coast, and taken together tend to intersect at a common point. Simple geological oddity? Evidence of a massive rain of impactors from space? Or something even more strange? Ley lines, a buried artifact, the departure point of Tesla's secret time machine...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_bays
http://www.georgehoward.net/cbays.htm
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #34
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
I put this in a similar thread over in the In Nomine forum, but thought it might also be useful here:

Submerged church reappears

The ruins of a medieval stone church, submerged in the 1960s with the filling of the Sau reservoir near Barcelona, reappear in the fall of 2007 when drought causes the reservoir to dry up. I suspect a fair number of people can come up with something interesting to do with some medieval ruins that reappear after forty years flooded, mm?
Here's the news story

http://www.asiaone.com/Travel/News/S...517-65716.html
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:41 AM   #35
William

A neat luxury item: 99 copies of a book on Michelangelo, retailing for €100.000 (about $150,000). Bound in handcarved marble, printed on artisan paper, guaranteed by the sellers for 500 years. A fine repository for occult secrets, target for an art theft, or wallet-blowing antique 500 years from now. ("Yes, only 99 were ever made, and only 6 are offworld that I know of, including these three....")
Old 06-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #36
William

Puzzle house: a family finds out that the architect left a mystery built in to the house they bought from him, for them to unravel piece by piece...
Old 06-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #37
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
Puzzle house: a family finds out that the architect left a mystery built in to the house they bought from him, for them to unravel piece by piece...
Okay, that's one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I know who I'm going to get to design my LoDo apartment, if I ever win the lottery.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #38
Lord Carnifex

Less obviously a puzzle and more of a mystery is the Winchester house.
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:34 PM   #39
Anaraxes

Darius McCollum was arrested for the 23rd time for impersonating an employee of NYC's public transit authority. Starting from taking a train downtown at age 15, though various donnings of uniforms to collect fares or clean trash from the tracks, McCollum seems obsessed with the subway system.

A bit unbalanced? Sure, that's just what They want you to think. What does he know that we don't? What is so urgent down there that he must return, again and again?

Perhaps he's actually only been arrested once. Each, that is; there are 23 of him. Clones, perhaps, early prototypes from Dr. Evil's new hideout buried underneath the city. Or perhaps there's a quantum anomaly hidden off an obscure side track connecting 23 parallel worlds, and Darius-N is just trying to get home.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #40
Chris Goodwin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Gladio

It's got Cold War politics, (ex-)Nazis, sleeper agents, and (as required by law) a connection to the Knights Templar (via the Order of the Solar Temple).

From the article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Gladio (Italian, from Latin gladius, meaning sword) is a code name denoting the clandestine NATO "stay-behind" operation in Italy after World War II, intended to counter an eventual Warsaw Pact invasion of Western Europe. Although Gladio specifically refers to the Italian branch of the NATO stay-behind organisations, Operation Gladio is used as an informal name for all stay-behind organisations.
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox