Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #1
xandarr2000

Default New to GURPS and Dungeon Fantasy

Hello all,

I have been gaming since 1982, and while I have owned GURPS since its 2nd edition, I was in the military for a vast majority of the time and honestly never sat down to look at it. That is completely on me. Now, I have been searching for a game for a while that allowed maximum character customization with interesting fiddly bits to add to play. I picked up GURPS characters and campaigns, which lead to a buying frenzy from all the backed up RPG budget cash I have not been spending over the last year or two.

I picked up Dungeon Fantasy RPG, as it seemed like a great way to learn GURPS in a closer to the "other" game fashion. As I have now decided to boycott that other coastal entity for my own reasons, that is making me desirous of moving my campaign from there to here. I am however having some issues figuring out what exactly is available for DFRPG. I am lucky enough to have the box set (which is gorgeous and as a reviewer begs for me to review it) but I also noted there are 19 pdf supplements out titled Dungeon Fantasy. Is this the same thing? A lot of them appear to be repeats of what is in the boxed set, but others look like they "could be" addons. I am so confused by what is out there, and I would prefer to make sure I had all the nuts and bolts and options before I begin transferring my world over to DFRPG. So could anyone help guide me through what is in the boxed set vs what is not? Thanks ahead of time!
xandarr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:32 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: New to GURPS and Dungeon Fantasy

The supplements are GURPS supplements, not designed as DFRPG supplements. Several will be redundant with DFRPG, but I'm not sure if there's an official list of which.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #3
zuljita

This is unofficial but useful:
GURPS Dungeon Fantasy To Dungeon Fantasy RPG - Which Books are Useful across the lines?
and also
List: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Articles usable by Dungeon Fantasy RPG

In general, I'd start with just the boxed set for now, then when you start to crave something more complex refer to that list. Anything involving building your own powers from GURPS (especially Sorcery and Ritual Path Magic) is going to be a bit more confusing.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
Refplace

The main thing to know is the rules are almost the same. Where they differ is DFRPG is slimmed down to make it easier to get started, same with abilities.
So anything for GURPS, but especially the DF line is compatible and useful to a DFRPG campain with no significant changes other than adding more fiddily bits to allow players and GMs more indiviuality.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
zuljita

Oh there's also this adventure written for DFRPG and licensed by a third party (a respected GURPS author who's branching out into his own thing): Hall Of Judgment
Old 10-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #6
xandarr2000

Thank you all for the wonderful information, the chart in particular was super useful. I am suppposed to be reviewing Douglas Cole's Halls of Judgement, he sent me a PDF, but I usually buy the product I am going to review just so I can be impartial in my review without feeling indebted. So I went ahead and bought Halls of Judgement softcover and the Character Assistant for 4th Edition as well. Wish there was a way to give folks props for making good suggestions! But here is my hearty thanks.
xandarr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
Dalin

You're in for a real treat! DFRPG is a great game in and of itself, and it's rewarding to expand it with the larger world of GURPS. I converted my D&D campaign to GURPS back in the 3e days and haven't looked back. I still play D&D sometimes, but I always long for the flexibility of GURPS. DFRPG is a great set of rules for bringing new players into the fold. It's simple, attractive, and compact, while demonstrating the characteristics that makes GURPS so fun.

I own the entire DF line, but I don't really need most of them. The table linked up-thread is a good guide. There are some good DF adventures in Pyramid, too, which translate pretty easily to DFRPG. (My most recent group enjoyed "You All Meet at an Inn" from Pyramid #3/98.)
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:04 PM   #8
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandarr2000 View Post
Character Assistant for 4th Edition
The data files for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG are still under construction, I'm afraid. However, we do have some beta files that folks can use and give feedback on.

The draft version of the primary file is available from my OneDrive here: Dungeon Fantasy RPG - Standalone Draft.gdf.

The spells are still a separate file, here: Dungeon Fantasy RPG - Spells Draft.gdf

There's a thread for them over in the GCA forum, here: GCA and Dungeon Fantasy RPG, which also includes a link to the in-progress equipment file that Bruno is working on, but for which I forgot the link.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #9
zuljita

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandarr2000 View Post
Wish there was a way to give folks props for making good suggestions! But here is my hearty thanks.
Happy to help. Stick around, ask questions (even if they seem dumb). We'll be here to assist however we can.