Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 09:50 PM   #221
JimTullis

Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

Speaking of Ogre...
I have a brand new question about Car Wars.

How likely is it that Car Wars minis will use the same plastic and molding process that the Ogre Minis are using now?

IF I knew for certain that the plastic will be the same, I might buy a batch of Ogre Minis for painting/modding practice. {I've got way too many of the old metals to need the plastics for playing Ogre.}

Has anyone here bought the Ogre Minis, If so how is the plastic?
I've worked with...
Everyone's Metals, GW plastic, Privateer plastic and resin, Wyrd Plastic, FFG plastic (but not the colored ones), and Milton Bradley plastics. I've got a couple of Steamforged plastics, but have not yet gotten around to messing with them, they seem a bit different from most every other plastic I've dealt with.

Are the Ogre Minis comparable to any of the above?

The only plastics that weren't grey or black that I have worked with were Milton Bradley from the old Game Master series and they're ok as board game bits, but not great for modeling and difficult to glue. I realize that plastics are making great strides these days in color and quality, so I feel sure that the colored Ogre minis must be better than the old MB colored plastics.

Last edited by JimTullis; 12-06-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:23 AM   #222
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
How likely is it that Car Wars minis will use the same plastic and molding process that the Ogre Minis are using now?
We will use the same factory. The Ogre minis were, in addition to giving Ogre fans a chance to grab lots and lots of high-quality minis, a testbed for Car Wars. Everything -- from the digital sculpting process to the manufacturing -- was a test for Car Wars miniatures.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:24 AM   #223
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
So it goes, I trust SJGames to bring us this game when they are ready. Hopefully sooner, rather than latter.

Please note that they no longer make impulsive promises on their Kickstarters like they did on OGRE, they've learned not too. Life is a learning process.
We learned a lot from Ogre . . .

And thanks. We would rather take our time here and do it right. We see Car Wars as a new line, not just a one-off game, so that means _everything_ has to come together.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:24 AM   #224
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We will use the same factory. The Ogre minis were, in addition to giving Ogre fans a chance to grab lots and lots of high-quality minis, a testbed for Car Wars. Everything -- from the digital sculpting process to the manufacturing -- was a test for Car Wars miniatures.
Thanks! That's great information.

I'll order a couple of Ogres and maybe a few other pieces from Warehouse 23.

That will let me get a feel for what sort of Primers and Glues to use and how well the minis take to Drilling for Magnetizing.
I think Turrets look better magnetized instead of glued.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:41 AM   #225
schoon

I've got the new OGRE miniatures.

The detail is very good. The plastic is comparable to the harder, colored stuff of GW's newer Space Marine kits.

I'm happy with it.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:53 AM   #226
JimTullis

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
The detail is very good. The plastic is comparable to the harder, colored stuff of GW's newer Space Marine kits.
I hadn't seen the new colored Space Marines. Are they Blue? ;)

It's been a while since I painted my Tau, and I hadn't paid much attention to GW plastics lately. Just applying the new rule set to my older models.

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:35 PM   #227
brionl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
I hadn't seen the new colored Space Marines. Are they Blue? ;)

It's been a while since I painted my Tau, and I hadn't paid much attention to GW plastics lately. Just applying the new rule set to my older models.

Thanks for the info.
The new Blood Bowl set uses coloured plastic for the Orcs & Humans. It seems to be just as sturdy as the plain old gray plastic they use for the other teams.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #228
ColBosch

The new plastic is very hard, but doesn't feel brittle. Schoon's mention of the detail being "very good" is an understatement. It's extremely crisp, down to almost hair-thin lines and nice, sharp edges on even the smallest parts. There's also very little flash, and what there is cleans up nicely. I've already painted over two full copies of Set 1, and I am champing at the bit to do more. These seriously may be the finest plastic miniatures I've ever seen.

If the new Car Wars minis are made of the same plastic, I'll be very happy.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #229
snate56

I just hope, with my anemic bank account, that I'll be able to at least get a basic set on Kickstarter and add the rest of the options in Backerkit later...

I'll get as much as I can but looking at Ogre, $75 or $100 is way out of my price range!

I don't know, maybe they are planning multiple Kickstarters.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:48 AM   #230
schoon

Given what they've said so far about starter sets and faction packs, there ought to be a pretty reasonable entry point to the game (cost wise).

If you want to get everything, you might be in trouble, but it looks like it will have an accessible starting point.
Closed Thread