Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
Astromancer

Default Stating Captain Kirk

Basically the guy (me) who asked you folks to Stat Oscar Wilde and Gene Kelly now asks/begs you good folks to stat Captain Kirk.

Kirk is definately a cinematic character. The guy is a strong fighter/warrior hand to hand, he has highly developed social skills, strong passions, and the brains to make Captain in Starfleet in his 30's.

Thank you ahead of time.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Stating Captain Kirk

Which of the many versions?

Original series, each of the movie versions, or the recent reboot?

Cynical view: lecherousness, or Action view: carouser?
Old 08-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
Not

Oh please, original TV run only!

He'd certainly have some Persuasion skills. He's talked computers into committing suicide and super-beings into quiescence.

He'd have a suite of advantages: Rank, Charisma, Attractiveness, Ridiculous Luck. (Others?) He's probably TL10. He's got some high point value allies in Spock and Scotty, and a super-nation as Patron.

Disadvantages other than duty and a weakness for women? (Lecherousness at half-value?) If the weekly adventurous experience of the Enterprise is typical, God help the Federation! If not, give Kirk Weirdness Magnet.

An incomplete list of skills would include pistol at TLs ranging from 5 to 10, diplomacy, fast talk ("look at that, you got half a fizbin already"), hyperspace navigation, brawling, stealth, acting, disguise, strategy, area knowledge (galaxy), and seduction.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Basically the guy (me) who asked you folks to Stat Oscar Wilde and Gene Kelly now asks/begs you good folks to stat Captain Kirk.

Kirk is definately a cinematic character. The guy is a strong fighter/warrior hand to hand, he has highly developed social skills, strong passions, and the brains to make Captain in Starfleet in his 30's.

Thank you ahead of time.
I've described Miles Vorkosigan as the the child of Julius Caesar and Captain Kirk before, so I'd start by gender flipping the writeup of Cordelia in VORKISIGAN SAGA.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
cptbutton

Bulletproof nudity. When his shirt get torn, he starts winning the fight.
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
Michael Cule

Let's see.

On the positive side:

Military Rank
Charisma (though I can't see it myself)
High Levels in Diplomacy, Fast Talk, Tactics: Starship, Strategy:Starfleet, Leadership and Administration. He has Spacer (obviously) and probably Sex Appeal .
Not Patron: Starfleet is his employer not his rabbi.
Allies in Spock, McCoy and Scotty.
Sense of Duty: Subordinates. Duty (Starfleet Captain): Most of the Time.
Weirdness Magnet, yes, though that may be the ENTERPRISE.
Positive Reputation: he's an officer who has been highly decorated for both military and peace-making missions.

On the negative side:

He acts Overconfident and you might make a case for Daredevil.
He has a negative reputation too as a smartaleck and a trouble-maker among the more conservative senior officers.
He has the reputation of being a Don Juan certainly but if he has Lecherousness it's at a very low level: he keeps it inside his pants when it might affect the mission. I'd say his problem is more an inability to form permanent or stable relationships which is rather hard to do in GURPS. Perhaps a Quirk: Incompetence Long Term Relationships.

Thinking about doing the crew of the Enterprise in general there might be a good case for using Bang Skills to express their central traits. Science! for Spock of course. Medic! for Bones. Starship Engineer! for Scotty and Starship Captain! for Kirk. Just one per character, make them take the rest in detail.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
GameBuddah

Kromm and I had a chat about this several years ago. Kirk has all of the meta game advantages, heaps of luck and serendipity. Things just turn out right for him.
GameBuddah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post

Thinking about doing the crew of the Enterprise in general there might be a good case for using Bang Skills to express their central traits. Science! for Spock of course. Medic! for Bones. Starship Engineer! for Scotty and Starship Captain! for Kirk. Just one per character, make them take the rest in detail.
Bio-tech specifically calls out Medicine! as the "Bones" skill.
Yeah I would add Serendipity to the mix, everyone thinks of Luck but often he finds the right person or item at the right time.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
adm

He also has either Engineer/Mechanic skill, in Space Seed, Courts Martial, and the Doomsday Machine he was making repairs, and fixing the various engine settings.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
He also has either Engineer/Mechanic skill, in Space Seed, Courts Martial, and the Doomsday Machine he was making repairs, and fixing the various engine settings.
I'd give him Mechanic (Starship) at IQ; he's capable of fixing, but Engineer is reserved for those able to design from scratch.

True, he was able to cook up a workable mortar of sorts when facing that one Gorn, but even then he was working off a design known for centuries with interesting jury-rigged parts.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stat challenge, statting