Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
ZmbeHntr

Default Golem-Armor Swordsman Face DR

Does the golem-armor swordsman (Monsters p. 35) have full-face protection? I know the description says it has normal human vulnerabilities at the head and vitals, but I'm assuming they are covered in metal as well. That would mean that most delvers would need to target chinks in the armor (-10) in order to benefit from those human vulnerabilities, unless they can overwhelm 17 DR.

Or is the golem-armor built with a glaring weakness and no protection for the eyes/face?
ZmbeHntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:27 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Golem-Armor Swordsman Face DR

Huh. DF does not specify what eye DR is for monsters. That's probably an error and it's meant to work like the DR advantage.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
lachimba

Or blast it with lightning.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:51 AM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

That particular monster is meant to have DR 17 all over. You can find chinks in it, but there are no exposed areas. It's in the book to give fighters who invest in ST and damage output a foe that makes life miserable for high-DX eye-pokers. There's something for everyone.

The DR of monsters in general is rubbery flesh, scales, thick hide, a heavy fat layer, chitin, solid bone, or whatever, and applies everywhere – skull, face, neck, torso, vitals, limbs, extremities – except for the eyes. The eyes have DR 0 unless the creature has Nictitating Membrane (in which case DR on the eyes equals that trait's level) or a note stating their DR is a force field that protects even the eyes. The numerous beings with No Eyes are exceptions for obvious reasons – removing eyes changes "DR applies everywhere except for the eyes" to "DR applies everywhere." (Those with Diffuse, Homogeneous, No Brain, or No Head might have eyes with DR 0, but targeting them won't cause massive injury.)
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #5
InfinitePudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
That particular monster is meant to have DR 17 all over. You can find chinks in it, but there are no exposed areas. It's in the book to give fighters who invest in ST and damage output a foe that makes life miserable for high-DX eye-pokers. There's something for everyone.

The DR of monsters in general is rubbery flesh, scales, thick hide, a heavy fat layer, chitin, solid bone, or whatever, and applies everywhere – skull, face, neck, torso, vitals, limbs, extremities – except for the eyes. The eyes have DR 0 unless the creature has Nictitating Membrane (in which case DR on the eyes equals that trait's level) or a note stating their DR is a force field that protects even the eyes. The numerous beings with No Eyes are exceptions for obvious reasons – removing eyes changes "DR applies everywhere except for the eyes" to "DR applies everywhere." (Those with Diffuse, Homogeneous, No Brain, or No Head might have eyes with DR 0, but targeting them won't cause massive injury.)
Hehe, what is your gm supposed to throw at you if you're a half-ogre swahbuckler who can poke the eyes, or go for brute strength?
InfinitePudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by West_Winds View Post
Hehe, what is your gm supposed to throw at you if you're a half-ogre swahbuckler who can poke the eyes, or go for brute strength?
Mind control. Followed by the other PCs.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #7
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Ive always assumed that stone (or metal even) golems and the like have DR over their eyes membrane or not.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #8
Anthony

Given the price of No Eyes, I would probably errata Nictating Membrane to be 'DR 1 per level, or 25% of face DR per level if face DR exceeds 4'. I've also used DR (Internal) for homogeneous things, meaning there is no location the DR does not protect -- even things like followup-attack don't bypass it.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:09 AM   #9
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

Given the price of No Eyes, I would probably errata Nictating Membrane to be 'DR 1 per level, or 25% of face DR per level if face DR exceeds 4'. I've also used DR (Internal) for homogeneous things, meaning there is no location the DR does not protect -- even things like followup-attack don't bypass it.
Perhaps in GURPS. It's irrelevant in the DFRPG because nothing with either of those traits is a PC built on points.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:25 AM   #10
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Ive always assumed that stone (or metal even) golems and the like have DR over their eyes membrane or not.
Also that their eyes should be homogenous for the purposes of damge.

Which makes piercing much less useful.