Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
Anthony

Default Extra heads and peripheral/360 vision.

If you have two heads, can they be looking in different directions, and thus have different arcs of vision, possibly imitating the effects of peripheral and/or 360 vision, or do you have to separately buy expanded vision arcs?
Old 12-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
Colarmel

Default Re: Extra heads and peripheral/360 vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
If you have two heads, can they be looking in different directions, and thus have different arcs of vision, possibly imitating the effects of peripheral and/or 360 vision, or do you have to separately buy expanded vision arcs?
I'm fairly sure the rule on this is: no benefits without points.

The benefits of two heads looking in one direction are significantly lower than two heads looking in different directions. Not to mention, extra head is cheaper than 360 degree vision. So to get both benefits at the lower price is a huge point crock.

If you want 360 degree vision, pay for it.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Extra heads could justify the purchase of Peripheral Vision or 360 degree vision, but the assumption is that you can only sense through one head at a time. The main utility of Extra Head is that it is effectively a limited form of Extra Life (you do not automatically die when you suffer decapitation to one head). You need to pay for everything else. It also give you one Extra Mouth and one level of Extra Tracking each level, so you can bite or aim at multiple targets.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
Anthony

Well, the entire point of enhanced tracking is that it lets you look at two different things at once.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Well, the entire point of enhanced tracking is that it lets you look at two different things at once.
Peripheral Vision isn't "look at two different things at once"! At all! Enhanced Tracking lets you look at two different things at once in your normal field of view, Peripheral Vision is "look at one thing in a wider field of view". If you want both you pay for both.

In one sense, Extra Head is a superior form of Enhanced Tracking.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #6
AlexanderHowl

It is not like it would be a stretch to buy Peripheral Vision for a species with two heads (a total cost of 30 points) or 360 degree vision for a species with three heads (a total cost of 55 points). Of course, they would look quite odd by human standards, but they would have some staying power in combat.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:12 PM   #7
Bicorn

I feel Peripheral Vision is kind of overcosted, anyway. I don't think I've ever seen a satisfying explanation of what about it justifies it costing 15 points.
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:48 AM   #8
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn View Post
I feel Peripheral Vision is kind of overcosted, anyway. I don't think I've ever seen a satisfying explanation of what about it justifies it costing 15 points.
The first thing that occurs to me is 'always get an active defence against rear attacks'. Sure it's at -2, but you always get one, and that's pretty nice.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:55 AM   #9
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
The first thing that occurs to me is 'always get an active defence against rear attacks'. Sure it's at -2, but you always get one, and that's pretty nice.
Still a bit high for what it grants you...

...unless you're in the right campaign. Might be worth the 15 CP in a campaign that is combat heavy, using the advanced combat rules (maps, miniatures, etc.). Oh, and lacking anything too fantastic (so either some or mo magic, psi, etc.). Especially TL4 or less.

Which reminds me, I think its price stems from Man-To-Man, and has never quite managed to convince that it should be reduced.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:58 AM   #10
Tomsdad

I'd take it into account for situational awareness as well. In fact a whole 2nd head could be a significant advantage in this area!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 12-07-2017 at 05:04 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote