Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2016, 06:41 AM   #9
demonsbane

Default Re: [DF] Where Do Druids Get Their Power From?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I think the premise was one of maturing to proper womanhood, Inanna, and losing wild uninhibited "juvenile" femininity, Lilith.
I see, the social and biological interpretations coming from modern anthropology, psychology and so on.

Under a metaphysical point of view, instead, "wild feminity" may be related to a dynamic aspect (unbounded, creative and also destructive) of the Infinite (and not the mathematical one, which is only quantity).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
OK a DF-esque that I occasionally bring out and tinker with is notable in that it doesn't have any gods that span the entire world, those that do exist are very regional, low powered and have little ability outside of their domain or portfolio
Also gods doesn't need to be tied to "universalistic religions", so you can use them as you're saying here, as cultural specifications of the divine under multiple and regional aspects (hence "pantheons of gods", like "compartmentalized mind" (Basic Set, p. 43) but applied to the divine essence).

Even if gods point to universal principles, the way in which they are present in different cultures is "particular", which has to do with the notion of dunamis as well (effective divine efficacy), which is a different instance in each culture (for instance, for Vedic civilization it's the Shakti, for Judaism it's the Shekinah, for Christianity it's the Holy Spirit, etc.): this way Thor can be a diminished god in a culture with a nearly exhausted dunamis, while in other its instanced and approximate equivalent, like Indra, can be vigorous.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+

Last edited by demonsbane; 10-04-2016 at 08:20 AM. Reason: added Basic Set reference
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
druids, dungen fantasy, fantasy, religion