Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #31
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Lost in Dreams [Tereza]

"Then you have come quite a long way. I never did understand how you got here."

"A salakor? an intelligent servant conjured from the heart of a gem. You've never met one? well, you'll meet Hyrim soon enough."

"The world is flat. You can see that. It extends forever in all directions. If you go too far from a sun you'll freeze, unless of course you have magic. Even so, Those are long journeys, and only crazy people make them. And I'm a water hunter talking here!"

Hyrim introduces himself in a deep voice:
"Salaam, Tereza [Bow]. I am Hyrim, steward's assistant for the house of the rhino. Illios tells me strange things about you and has invited you to the family estate. I can assure you there will be no improprieties, and that the estate is well furnished."

When Tereza starts checking if Hyrim knows about round worlds, he treats it very seriously, but very academically. He asks very intelligent but childish questions, such as what would drive the night and day cycle, how to keep the earth from falling into the sun, how to keep the water from falling into space, and so on.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 06-24-2013 at 03:18 PM.
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #32
Poonbahbah

"I don't understand either my friend, but I think it has to do with dreaming."

"We thought our world was flat too until a few hundred years ago. Some very smart people made some very astute observations about the world and the night sky and deduced the shape of the Earth. One even got the radius right to within a couple of miles from indirect observations! Which is something I wouldn't be able to do."

Tereza will bow in return and add, "Peace be to you as well Hyrim. I would be glad to join Ilios* and yourself at his families estate. I thank you quite warmly for extending the invitation."

Tereza will do her best to answer the questions. Such as, "The spinning of the Earth drives the day/night cycle with one side facing, no that's not quite right, with one half of the planet facing the sun at any one time. So the sun shines continuously on the Earth but it's also rising and setting somewhere as well.

The Earth is in a stable orbit around our sun, or Sol as we. Which basically means that it's moving at a perpendicular motion from falling in to the sun that it orbits in roughly the shape of a hoop around the sun. Not quite a circle but pretty close. Sorta like how you can throw the rock and the rock wont touch the ground for a while, only it's going so fast that it'll never touch the sun.

You might as well ask why soil and people don't fall into the sky as soon ask why water doesn't. It's all for the same reason, gravity. The term we use for pull of all objects towards one another. Without gravity, everything would sorta be a uniform scattering of atoms, because matter would never form clumps of anything, like the sun and Earth. The Earth may not be nearly as big as the sun and so have less gravity, because there's less matter to produce it, but it's big enough and significantly closer. So gravity keeps us glued to the surface."

Tereza will ask the same questions in her turn. She'll also ask if they have direct observational evidence to back up his claims. Like, "Has anyone flown so high, at least two mile, that they can see the world flowing out like a sheet of paper below them? If the world is flat how do you get to the far side of the world I've heard about where there's a lot more water, dig? If they can walk to it wouldn't that prove the world wasn't flat? Or maybe if you walk far enough you come to a right angle walk along that a bit hit another right angle and then bam your on the far side. Or do they just mean very far away when they say the far side of the world? Which would make sense to me. What keeps the water here from falling out into space, or people, or the soil beneath their feet for that matter? Times like this I wish I had studied the harder sciences more then the bare minimum!"

Also when/if she has a chance Tereza will privately ask Hyrim something along the lines of, "So you were summoned here? Was it against your will and consent? Did you leave family and friends behind. Would you like me to try to help send you home? If so, how would I go about doing that? Where I'm from we believe that all people were created equal in god's eyes and so it is immoral to keep anyone in bondage. Do they have slavery here beyond summoned people?

*See the start of your post #19.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #33
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"So you're saying water doesn't have a special push away from the sun? It just stays in the same place the entire time?"

Quote:
"Has anyone flown so high, at least two mile, that they can see the world flowing out like a sheet of paper below them?"
"Yes. though once you get that high you must take precautions or you will suffocate from lack of air.

To get to the other side you dig, and then you swim. Its not very far, but you must work for every inch. Its very expensive. Mostly its of concern to the dream-walkers.

It falls to the bottom, of course. Gravity. The universe has a lowest plane and everything falls towards it."

"I was conjured into being a long time ago, about 125,000 days in the past. I didn't think before being conjured, so I suppose it wasn't against my will. Though will is an interesting thing for the conjured. We wish to do what we are ordered. I've been fortunate to have only changed families once, when I was 53,000 days old. I suppose I miss my old family, but I like this one, and I wouldn't leave them for anything. Though I suppose academically if I change hands again I'll love them just as much."

"How could you possibly free a conjured being like myself? I am brought into existence with a dedicated loyalty to one man and one man only. I would be lost without such a compass. You believe that all are equal in the eyes of god? Perhaps he will judge all the same, but all are not equal. I am very different from My master, and he from his mother. And they are not equal to Ilios. There are great differences in all of us. It does not make sense to run a world without servants. It would be like children playing who cannot decide who is the sultan."

Quote:
*See the start of your post #19.
It says Ilios, not Iliam. At least now it does! thanks.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 06-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #34
Poonbahbah

"Yes, it's the same as any other matter.

Where I'm from we have no lowest plane that everything falls into, where we're from are quite different. Still curious how it is your suns don't fall into the plane and burn everything up, or do they? Just so far a way it isn't a concern.

It worked for us, and while I acknowledge every one is different that doesn't necessarily mean unequal. Two plus two is equal to one plus three. Different but equal. It also helps that all we have are unmagical humans, I think. Then after creation one can work to change them selves. I was born a baby like everyone else where I'm from, I choose to learn to be an entertainer.

Anyway it's been an interesting conversation."
Old 06-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #35
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

(Hyrim is willing to answer questions for as long as Tereza can stand, and probably longer.)

"The suns do fall through and burn everything up. Then the hole stays there and they fall the other way back through and then forward again. Like a pendulum. though I will say we're not sure why they spend more time on one side of the bottom than the other. We think its the water, but we're not sure."

"Perhaps you are born equal. We are not. I, for one, enjoy being forced to run one of the most important estates around this sun."

Hyrim shows Tereza the flying carpet, and gives basic instructions on how to use it. These amount to "Hold on firmly, and look intently where you want to go." Of course, Hyrim doesn't actually say that, he gives some complicated meta-physical explanation with that information in it. The three of them ride into the rising sun.

Tereza quickly gets the hang of "driving" the carpet, which consists mostly of paying attention to where the other two are going. The desert below them is massive, vast wastes of sand and rock. Every so often they passed a city, surrounded by green fields, and always in a depression. Tereza wasn't sure how fast they were going. certainly faster than most cars...

Old 06-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #36
Poonbahbah

Tereza will follow along and ask some questions like, "So what's your relation to Ilios, Muso," and, "So what is the estate you manage like Hyrim, and what sort of treatment might I expect when we get there? Who's the sultan and are you at war with anyone? What will I be expected to do to earn my keep? Or should I volunteer to do something or just be a guest?
Old 06-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #37
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"Ilios is my half-brother from my father's first wife. He's used to being the head dream-walker, and his brother's was something of a surprise to me. I still haven't gotten use to being the heir. Garzo, my brother, is head walker technically, but Ilios still does all the work, and Garzo really hasn't gotten used to actually doing work."

"The sultan currently is Pashos VII. He's not at war with anyone, but we're..." Muso trails off when Hyrim makes a disapproving grunt "... I'm at war with a neighboring emir, Harub of Kardish. The war is going well, or so they tell me. I've been out in the desert while someone killed off all my brothers." Muso scowled. "They let me get down to the bottom of the valley before returning. I suppose I succeeded in my dream, only to be whisked back."

Hyrim: "We hope you will earn your keep, but we are not sure what you can do yet. Ilios claimed some very strange things about you. We hope you can help us there."

Old 06-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #38
Poonbahbah

"Help you there? Where?

So what do dreamwalkers do besides read minds, or would that be a.better question for Ilios and Garzo?

I'm an actress and singer, who happens to be fluent in two languages and passable in five more. Arabic you know. [Czech] Then there is my mother tongue, Czech. [English] Another is the primary laguage of scholars where I'm from, English. [French] I spent some time in Paris which is known for it's art, fashion, and entertainments. Which is how I became fluent in French. [German] I decided to pick up German because they border my country in addition to being the economic powerhouse of the EU. [Mandarin] I learned Mandarin mostly because it's the world's most spoken language. Though if ever there was I war I figured I could enlist and help interrogate prisoners or decrypt slash translate intercepted communications. [Arabic] So basically an entertainer. A bard is also a fairly accurate word I think. I'm personally not sure what else I could do to help. I think I need lots of practice to become a passable Dreamwalker."

Last edited by Poonbahbah; 06-25-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Poonbahbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #39
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Hyrim: "So you speak many languages, and sing well. We were hoping you could help the dream walkers. Ilios and Garzo can certainly tell you more, but Dream Walkers help us to communicate with distant lands. Muso told Ilios to pick you up through the dream. Its how we negotiate peace and trade treaties. The mind reading part is just a bonus: you can get a lot out of someone when they're sleeping and their defenses are lowered.

Right now we're mostly curious WHY you can dream walk. You say you don't have the gift, and you're not male."

Old 06-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #40
Poonbahbah

"I could try helping the dream walkers, I just have no experience at it. Maybe with a little coaching I'll do better? I'll have to speak to them about any advice they can give and such.

I'm curious too, and wish I knew more about it.

I'm still not sure what gift your talking about. So I haven't denied having it, just being frustratingly ignorant of things you all seem to know. You make it sound like a separate thing from dream walking."

Tags
lost in dreams