Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-21-2019, 08:35 PM   #1
Whitestreak

Default Star Hero Aliens

A few years ago, I was looking some of the Star Hero books at a game store and if I recall correctly, one of them had quite a few alien write-ups in it (them?)

Does anyone here play Star Hero and know of which book(s) I am thinking?

Thanks!
Whitestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
Irish Wolf

Default Re: Star Hero Aliens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestreak View Post
A few years ago, I was looking some of the Star Hero books at a game store and if I recall correctly, one of them had quite a few alien write-ups in it (them?)

Thanks!
I too would be fascinated by this. As I recall, Star Hero was supposed to be in the far future of the same universe as Champions - it would be interesting to see if the same thing that removed superpowers from Earth affected, say, the Malvans or the Elder Worms.

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:13 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Quote:

Thanks!
The only Hero system book I know of with a lot of aliens is Champions Beyond.

https://www.herogames.com/store/prod...eyond-bookpdf/

Last edited by David Johnston2; 08-22-2019 at 11:47 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:47 PM   #4
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
I too would be fascinated by this. As I recall, Star Hero was supposed to be in the far future of the same universe as Champions - it would be interesting to see if the same thing that removed superpowers from Earth affected, say, the Malvans or the Elder Worms.
They would be unaffected for the most part. The only thing that eliminated superpowers from Earth was attrition once origins stopped happening with the decline in Chaos. The Malvan racial template has no powers except ludicrous longevity. They had almost no random mutants. When they got superpowers it was through the deliberate use of their incalculably advanced technology and they would have lost interest in doing that as the number of interesting foes in the galaxy declined. The Elder Worms might be weakened by the magic decline but psychic powers are still in a thing in the Imperial era.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:53 AM   #5
xerxes

Isn't there a HERO System 5th edition book called Alien Wars?

I believe it is meant to be the future of Champions universe.
xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:46 AM   #6
Irish Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes View Post

My understanding is that all of the Hero System books were supposed to be compatible with the idea of one continuing universe, from the Turakian Age of Fantasy Hero on up to the galaxy-spanning adventures of Star Hero.

In fact, one of the most powerful villains in Champions, and in the MMO Champions Online, is Takofanes the Undying, who had started as the necromancer Kul-Turak during the Turakian Age. Part of what led to the end of that age was when he arose anew as the lich-king Takofanes, and the gods had to band together with exceptional human heroes to defeat him and lock him into his tomb, which was sealed with the sword Auralia of the chief god Kilbern Skyfather. This led to the old gods wasting away, their power spent.

In 1987, however, oil drilling in Oklahoma led to the Tomb of Takofanes being inadvertently unsealed. The Undying led an army of undead he created from those poor souls who found him, and any who opposed him, until finally the Sentinels and Justice Squad were able to stop him at St. Louis.

In CO, he uses the souls of twelve of the mightiest heroes to have fallen in the 1994 Battle of Detroit, when Dr. Destroyer wound up leveling most of Detroit to cover his escape, in the Blood Moon, an annual attack on the rebuilt city (now known as Millennium City, as the rebuilding of everything but the West Side was done in time for the city's rededication in 2001 - Mayor Biselle promises to begin the last part of the construction "soon", but what with alien invasions, attacks by Lemurian rebels, and the occasional Takofanes attack or opening of portals to the Qliphothic Realm, well, you can see where most of the city's budget goes these days...).

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:59 PM   #7
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Wolf View Post
As I recall, Star Hero was supposed to be in the far future of the same universe as Champions - it would be interesting to see if the same thing that removed superpowers from Earth affected, say, the Malvans or the Elder Worms.
That would be the "Hero Universe"...

I don't recall mention of that in the late C3 (Champions 3E) era Star Hero, nor does searching for hero universe nor champions find anything supporting the claim. That was a total standalone, the powers system was optimized for equipment.

From mid-4th on, yes, Mr. Long had a concept for a unified universe. to quote from the C4e sup, Champions Universe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champions Universe (C4th) p5
Eleven years ago, a roleplaying game called Champions was introduced. It developed quite a following, and a number of support products followed over the years. Characters were presented, places were detailed, and events were chronicled. Soon we began to see, in these products, the characters interacted. Dr. Destroyer was indeed a resident of the same world as Mechanon and Firewing. A consistent (well, mostly consistent) universe had been formed, and no one had really been trying. A Champions Universe came into being when no one was looking, and has existed now for years.
So, you ask, why do you need to buy this book? The Champions Universe has been there all along. Well, presented here, for the first time, is how it all fits together. It is a world book-a sourcebook detailing an entire universe. It explains how the Masque and the Revered Elder fought the Japanese Tong, a group that was led by the Master, who later went on to form the Circle who fought Earthmaster and Dark Seraph, who can trace his ancestry to Aquarius of the Zodiac and even back to Black Paladin who rose Sir Gawaine from the dead and ... well, you get the picture. It all fits together now. The characters, the organizations, the alien races-they all interact because they all exist in the same universe.
It is, much like Guardians of the Galaxy, set in the now, and for various reasons, kept kinda hushed on Earth...
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:04 PM   #8
ak_aramis

Quote:

Thanks!
While it's not technically for Star Hero, but Champions, Alien Enemies for C4 has a LOT of alien races in HSR 4 format.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:50 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes View Post

Alien Wars is a setting sourcebook for the period right after humans get interstellar travel. (So after the cyberpunk period, before the Empire, and well before the return of superheroes in the 31st century.)
Old 08-24-2019, 12:27 AM   #10
Whitestreak

A friend who has most, if not all, of the Hero and Champions books reminded of this, so I'm going to go over Sunday and browse through his collection.

I, too, seem to recall that there is a unified time line running throughout the Hero products, but I'm not familiar enough with it to say for sure.
Whitestreak is offline   Reply With Quote