Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #1
voodoo54

Default Factions in the ODE

I have finally decided to use plastic bins to organize all the piece that come with the ODE. It looks like it came with four different factions. One being the NAC and one being the Pan Europeans. Does anyone know what the other two are called? One faction looks like it has greenish looking vehicles with a white background and the other looks like black vehicles with a light green back ground with names on them.
voodoo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Factions in the ODE

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo54 View Post
I have finally decided to use plastic bins to organize all the piece that come with the ODE. It looks like it came with four different factions. One being the NAC and one being the Pan Europeans. Does anyone know what the other two are called? One faction looks like it has greenish looking vehicles with a white background and the other looks like black vehicles with a light green back ground with names on them.
The "black on light green" that use the NAC style artwork are the Black Rose Mercenaries. What's neat about these is they are fan-sponsored sheets where a bunch of us chipped in to help fund it and were able to pick the names you see on the units.

The "greenish on white" are the "Third Force" units. They are European (but not PE) units. This is another set of sheets that were sponsored by Robert Gurskey. A lot of people say they are Belgian because of the coloring (look at the cruise missile especially); but IIRC, Robert says they are not specifically Belgian.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:35 AM   #3
voodoo54

That's exactly what I needed to know, thanks!
voodoo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:33 AM   #4
rjg173

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
The "black on light green" that use the NAC style artwork are the Black Rose Mercenaries. What's neat about these is they are fan-sponsored sheets where a bunch of us chipped in to help fund it and were able to pick the names you see on the units.

The "greenish on white" are the "Third Force" units. They are European (but not PE) units. This is another set of sheets that were sponsored by Robert Gurskey. A lot of people say they are Belgian because of the coloring (look at the cruise missile especially); but IIRC, Robert says they are not specifically Belgian.
I never said such a thing as the GEVs/LGEVs and cruise missiles are specifically Belgian. The Howitzers and Mobile Howitzers are German. The Heavy Tanks and Light tanks are from elsewhere in Europe, but I never decided where.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:04 AM   #5
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg173 View Post
I never said such a thing as the GEVs/LGEVs and cruise missiles are specifically Belgian. The Howitzers and Mobile Howitzers are German. The Heavy Tanks and Light tanks are from elsewhere in Europe, but I never decided where.
And that's what I love about this community - here we have as official an answer as we can get, straight from the proverbial horse's mouth! :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:20 PM   #6
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
And that's what I love about this community - here we have as official an answer as we can get, straight from the proverbial horse's mouth! :)
Hear, hear!

Thanks for weighing in, rjg173!

D.

(There does seem to be a resurgence of interest in the various ODE factions recently. Perhaps Battlefields has something to do with that. In any case, anything that keeps Ogre front and center is "a good thing" in my book!)

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:21 PM   #7
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg173 View Post
I knew invoking your name would bring you out of the woodwork :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
(There does seem to be a resurgence of interest in the various ODE factions recently. Perhaps Battlefields has something to do with that. In any case, anything that keeps Ogre front and center is "a good thing" in my book!)
Yeah, that's been very interesting to see.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:34 AM   #8
Misplaced Buckeye

I posted this question on Fb ogre but looking for a little more detail, The BGG counter has PE forces with a yellow arrow flash on top different from the all blue PE units . IS there anything more unique about that detail. Also the Green on white GEV counter some sport a Yellow flash, Significance? Doing a bunch of sorting....
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:16 AM   #9
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
I posted this question on Fb ogre but looking for a little more detail, The BGG counter has PE forces with a yellow arrow flash on top different from the all blue PE units . IS there anything more unique about that detail. Also the Green on white GEV counter some sport a Yellow flash, Significance? Doing a bunch of sorting....
That doesn't sound like BGG counters, that sounds like the ACD sheet. The BGG counters are 3-D (with BGG-zilla) and an overlay sheet.

No special significance beyond ACD wanted to be different.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:12 PM   #10
wolf90

If I remember correctly, ACD wanted to do something unique, and yet still have the units be able to be used with the PE faction (seeing as they were PE body styles). This was the result.

You can use these as a faction within the PE. After all, Paneurope was not one monolithic entity in the manner of the NA Combine, but rather a tightly bound coalition of nations united for the common good. The "other" green faction within ODE sponsored by rjg173 (thanks yet again!!) would represent another such sub-faction within PE.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote