Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-28-2023, 02:41 PM   #1
Drakenbow

Default The old "Orb Quest" microgame & Shields

In the game Orb Quest I noted this line.

204. "Curse you all!", screams the wizard, as he stands and grips his staff (1 die damage) and small shield. He is ST 13, DX 18(16), IQ 16, MA 10(8) and
is wearing leather. He also has on an amulet/strength battery around his neck worth 20 strength points. He know the following spells:
...(I omited the list)...
If using TFT: IN THE LABYRINTH rules, the wizard also is considered to have the Shield talent.

Was it intended that a wizard could use a shield and still cast spells?

Although it is not said in the quest, I would expect the shield to be silvered. I would not think the creators of this microgame would over look issues with a wizard carrying a shield when encounter. In the core book I know has the Iron, Silver, and Magic section on p.140. And I am aware of the Wizard Staff has options of being a dagger or sword (preferable silvered) from p.148. The Gestures and Incantations on p.142 suggests with an IQ 2 points or higher than the spell being cast would only require one hand.

So, in your opinions can a wizard wield a shield (or non-Staff weapon) in the off hand and still cast? Does the Occult attack from a Wizard Staff imply the same limitations on IQ?

Last edited by Drakenbow; 09-28-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Drakenbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 04:57 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: The old "Orb Quest" microgame & Shields

The problem with carrying an item in the off-hand is the -2 to maximum IQ for spellcasting at ITL 142. This is why even wizards with Dagger Staffs seldom carry a second dagger in the off-hand, even though this is a "free attack" by ITL 111.
As a GM I assume that shields are wood with brass fittings, as was common in the middle ages. A wizard could simply carry a shield on their back to stop a hit to the rear, but the backpack does just as well and weighs less.
You need the full IQ/gestures to CAST the Staff spell, but once you do it is just a magic item that requires no further effort than wielding it and focusing the mana to power it.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:19 PM   #3
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakenbow View Post
Although it is not said in the quest, I would expect the shield to be silvered. I would not think the creators of this microgame would over look issues with a wizard carrying a shield when encounter. In the core book I know has the Iron, Silver, and Magic section on p.140.
A shield can be made with minimal iron, so I don't know that I would necessarily apply the iron penalty to spellcasting for a wizard wielding a shield.

Quote:
And I am aware of the Wizard Staff has options of being a dagger or sword (preferable silvered) from p.148. The Gestures and Incantations on p.142 suggests with an IQ 2 points or higher than the spell being cast would only require one hand.

So, in your opinions can a wizard wield a shield (or non-Staff weapon) in the off hand and still cast? Does the Occult attack from a Wizard Staff imply the same limitations on IQ?
Yes, I'd absolutely allow a wizard to cast while wielding a shield, provided both hands are not needed for gestures.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 09:29 PM   #4
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
A shield can be made with minimal iron, so I don't know that I would necessarily apply the iron penalty to spellcasting for a wizard wielding a shield.

Yes, I'd absolutely allow a wizard to cast while wielding a shield, provided both hands are not needed for gestures.
Some shields are strapped to the arm and though they may have a hand grip, the hand grip can probably be made to come loose, thus freeing the had for movements. Not graceful, but functional.

Also, the wizard will have to buy the shield talent or suffer penalties.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 09:10 AM   #5
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
Some shields are strapped to the arm and though they may have a hand grip, the hand grip can probably be made to come loose, thus freeing the had for movements. Not graceful, but functional.

Also, the wizard will have to buy the shield talent or suffer penalties.
By ITL 121 we ain't got no boss grip, but I'd allow Horsemanship while shielded. Is the proper penalty for untalented shield use to just add one die to all DX rolls while holding?